[comp.os.coherent] Korn Shell for Coherent?

marke@richs118.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Mark Ellis) (04/09/91)

Has anyone been successful porting Korn Shell to Coherent?  Otherwise, has
anyone seen a Korn Shell clone for Coherent?

Thanks in advance!
Mark Ellis

dfenyes@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (David Fenyes) (04/11/91)

In article <1626@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com> richsun!marke writes:
>Has anyone been successful porting Korn Shell to Coherent?  Otherwise, has
>anyone seen a Korn Shell clone for Coherent?

I have compiled the PD Ksh on my system, but there are bugs that
cause problems.  I have been working on another shell, a derivative
of ASH, that is still in alpha testing.  So far, I've got a shell that
works fairly stably, and the editor implements both emacs and vi modes,
but since I'm not a vi-user, I'm waiting for feedback.  Among other
features are shell functions, and alias emulation via shell funtions,
builtin test, expr, echo, true, etc., which greatly increases speed,
a simple history (which I plan to improve next), expansion of PS1&PS2
as if in double quotes, which permits command and variable substitution,
and an EVERY variable, which executes user commands before every PS1.
I believe the editor is a big improvement over clam's, although the
key-binding scheme is similar.  Macros can also be bound to keys.
The main drawback so far is that here docs are expanded in memory,
so on a small machine large (>20k) here docs wont expand, so /bin/sh
is still needed for shar files.

The alpha testers should be testing version 0.3 alpha right now.

As soon as the alpha testers agree it's ready, I'll post it.  I'm already
quite certain it's much better and less buggy than clam, to the point
where I've removed all clam source & binaries from my system.

David.
--
David Fenyes                                 dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
University of Texas Medical School           Houston, Texas