[comp.os.coherent] Coherent UUCP <---> Xenix UUCP ?

rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) (04/06/91)

I'm trying to get my Coherent system talking with a Xenix-based system.
I've been given a UUCP user-id and password for the Xenix system, and I've
convinced uucico that it knows how to use the modem and call up the other
system; however, things start to crap out after the two systems connect.

Is the Coherent UUCP package compatible with standard UUCP?  Or is it some
mutant variation that only works with Coherent systems?

If anyone has managed to make their Coherent system talk to another non-
Coherent system, I'd like to hear about it.  Did you use the default UUCP
routines, or port something over to Coherent?

Oh-- and on that note, would someone be so kind as to post the ported
smail/rn package to this group?  I kcan't get at piggy for some reason,
though I can read this group.  (This system's administrators are very
much against bitftp and big mail transmissions because it angers the folks
they get mail/news from).

Thanks....

-Roy Wood (rrwood@contact.uucp)

dtinker@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (David Tinker) (04/08/91)

rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) writes:

> I'm trying to get my Coherent system talking with a Xenix-based system.
> I've been given a UUCP user-id and password for the Xenix system, and I've
> convinced uucico that it knows how to use the modem and call up the other
> system; however, things start to crap out after the two systems connect.
>
> Is the Coherent UUCP package compatible with standard UUCP?  Or is it some
> mutant variation that only works with Coherent systems?

As far as I know, Coherent UUCP is completely standard.

> If anyone has managed to make their Coherent system talk to another non-
> Coherent system, I'd like to hear about it.  Did you use the default UUCP
> routines, or port something over to Coherent?

"blunile" is connected to Usenet/uunet through "aimed", a site running
SCO XENIX R2.3.2 on an Intel 386-25;  I connect to their Telebit Trailblazer
using a 2400 baud modem.  I had absolutely no trouble getting the link up
and running.  Here is an L.sys template that ought to work:

where <site> is the host site, <uident> is your site's id with "u" prefixed,
and <password> is your password on the host site.  You *did* remember to ask
your host to give you a UUCP login name starting with the letter "u", right?

> Oh-- and on that note, would someone be so kind as to post the ported
> smail/rn package to this group?  I can't get at piggy for some reason,

You must be joking!  The sizes of the compressed tar files are:
         111286  smail.tar.Z
         373735  rn.tar.Z
Since they would have to be posted in ASCII form (maybe uuencoded), multiply
these numbers by 2 to 3!  You think your sysadmin is peeved *now* !!?!  (:-)
Why not download them by uucp from Mark Williams' mwcbbs - complete instruc-
tions are included with Coherent 3.10r.  Anyway, "rn" is not needed for smail,
it's part of the Cnews package which you *don't* want, trust me!

 David O. Tinker	EMAIL:  dtinker@blunile.UUCP
 Blue Nile Software		{uunet|utai}!lsuc!aimed!blunile!dtinker
 Markham, Ont. Canada	VOICE:  (416) 887-5631

! David O. Tinker / Department of Biochemistry  / University of Toronto /   !
! TORONTO, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8 / Voice: (416) 978-3636 /                !
! UUCP: dtinker@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca / BITNET: dtinker@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca  !

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.133259.23350@contact.uucp> rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) writes:

>I'm trying to get my Coherent system talking with a Xenix-based system.
>I've been given a UUCP user-id and password for the Xenix system, and I've
>convinced uucico that it knows how to use the modem and call up the other
>system; however, things start to crap out after the two systems connect.

Yah.. that happened to me ALOT when I was first trying to get it working...  In
fact it still does sometimes when I call the MWC BBS ;-)

>Is the Coherent UUCP package compatible with standard UUCP?  Or is it some
>mutant variation that only works with Coherent systems?

It supports the 'G' protocol of UUCP.  Which is not a mutant.

>If anyone has managed to make their Coherent system talk to another non-
>Coherent system, I'd like to hear about it.  Did you use the default UUCP
>routines, or port something over to Coherent?

I use the regular UUCP stuff, but mine never worked until I wrote my own
'modemcap' entry.  For some reason mine would start up and do the dialing
at the baud rate spec'd in the sys file mess under /usr/lib/uucp then after
the connect message it would switch the baud rate to that spec'd in the
/etc/ttys (ttys???  is that the name? or ttytab?) file... even though I had
the line disabled in that file.  The MWC docs on their UUCP port are pretty
crappy.  In face I think their trailblazer default configs stink too.

Oh Yah!!  yes I have been using Coherent's UUCP to call a Sequent symmetry
and a Sun3 machine for news and mail for a few months now.  (The news software
I wrote myself and all it does is unbatch news files and put them into a tree...
No expiration & no reader.  But I see some talk of rn and cnews these days.)

If you have a hayes compatible modem, email me and I will TRY to send you
copies of my config files and stuff.  (But no promises, I have not had my
coherent running for a few weeks & I fear bit-rot might have set in.)

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr7.191749.16251@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> dtinker@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (David Tinker) writes:
>rrwood@contact.uucp (roy wood) writes:

>> Is the Coherent UUCP package compatible with standard UUCP?  Or is it some
>> mutant variation that only works with Coherent systems?
>
>As far as I know, Coherent UUCP is completely standard.

This depends on what you call "completely standard" ... It isn't the HDB
UUCP that many systems are using these days.  One limitation (Fatal in
some instances (such as mine where I wanted to use coherent to test uucp
into my Esix box), is Coherent's limitation of host names to 7 characters.

>tions are included with Coherent 3.10r.  Anyway, "rn" is not needed for smail,
>it's part of the Cnews package which you *don't* want, trust me!

Since when is 'rn' part of the 'cnews' package?

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill