[comp.os.coherent] Questions

cmdbyk@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu (Karl Boyken) (04/05/91)

I've considered buying Coherent, but I understand it didn't used to
support SCSI hard drives.  Now in their ads I see that they support
Adaptec SCSI controllers "with more on the way".  I've got a Seagate
SCSI drive; I don't think it uses an Adaptec card.  Does anyone know
when or if Coherent will support my hard drive?

Also, on the issue of DOS and Coherent on the same hard drive:  in
that case, can you still use DOS hard drive utilities like Norton's
SD to compact your drive, or does that mess up the Coherent partition?

    ** _My_ views, no one else's--except those I plagiarize. **
Karl Boyken, Project Analyst          | "It's so easy to slip, it's
State Health Registry of Iowa         |  so easy to fall and let your
Iowa City, IA   Phone: (319)335-9541  |  memory drift into nothing
Internet: cmdbyk@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu |  at all." -- Lowell George

cccstevn@underdog.Ucdavis.EDU (Steven T. Ansell) (04/06/91)

On the same topic, does Coherent support IDE drives?  I remember
reading somewhere that is does not, but can't recall the source.
If not, are there plans to support them in the future?

						-Steven T. Ansell
						Unix Consultant
						Computing Services U.C.D.

it23026@mermaid.micro.umn.edu (Pitt Cheang) (04/06/91)

cmdbyk@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu (Karl Boyken) writes:

>I've considered buying Coherent, but I understand it didn't used to
>support SCSI hard drives.  Now in their ads I see that they support
>Adaptec SCSI controllers "with more on the way".  I've got a Seagate
>SCSI drive; I don't think it uses an Adaptec card.  Does anyone know
>when or if Coherent will support my hard drive?

>Also, on the issue of DOS and Coherent on the same hard drive:  in
>that case, can you still use DOS hard drive utilities like Norton's
>SD to compact your drive, or does that mess up the Coherent partition?

Well, according to the release notes, it do support Adaptec AHA-1540A,
AHA-1542A SCSI H/A
Adaptec AHA-1540B,AHA-1542B SCSI H/A

Hope this would help.

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (04/06/91)

In article <12653@aggie.ucdavis.edu> cccstevn@underdog.Ucdavis.EDU (Steven T. Ansell) writes:
>On the same topic, does Coherent support IDE drives?  I remember
>reading somewhere that is does not, but can't recall the source.
>If not, are there plans to support them in the future?

I don't know what the doc says about it, but I have a 124MB IDE on my PC
running coherent W/O any problems.  My PC is an Epson Equity II+...  It's setup
program wouldn't let me choose the correct drive type to match it, but I chose
the closest one, and have had no DOS or Coherent problems since I got it in
December.  It is a Segate ST1144A config'd with 4 31MB partitions (3 coherent
and 1 DOS.)  The controller has no ROM on it, so it is using the regular BIOS
code that came with my PC.

I am sorta worried about the drive type stuff not matching in the setup, but
I have it pretty filled up & there does not seem to be anything bad happening
(yet.)  The right way to install the thing would have been to get a newer BIOS
that supports 'User Defined Drive Types' and enter the heads/cyls/tracks...
stuff that way.  But what the heck...  I keep what I need backed up, so I'll
just deal with it when it breaks.

I think the general rule with Coherent is that it will support anything that
the BIOS supports on it's own.  (Stuff that does not need any special software
loaded from a CONFIG.SYS or what ever.)

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !

albani@cadlab.sublink.ORG (albani) (04/12/91)

cccstevn@underdog.Ucdavis.EDU (Steven T. Ansell) writes:

>On the same topic, does Coherent support IDE drives?  I remember
>reading somewhere that is does not, but can't recall the source.

Yes.  I run Coherent at home on a Seagate ST1201A (IDE)
without problem.
After all the IDE drives have a ST-506 interface.

Bye, Lanfranco

--
Lanfranco Albani - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) albani@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) bob@allan.sublink.org

campbell@dataco.UUCP (Duncan Campbell) (04/13/91)

Coherent DOES support IDE drives.  I have shuffled it on and
off of a 200MB Maxtor several times without difficulty.

Duncan Dhugh

* DISCLAIMER:                                                      *
*    The opinions expressed are solely of the author and do not    *
*    necessarily reflect the opinions of Canadian Marconi Company. *