[comp.os.coherent] bad tar file for cnews from piggy???

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (04/11/91)

Is this only me?  What version of tar was used to create the cnews tar file?
the sdbm archives as well as the cnews archive look hosed, while the rn & reap
stuff seems ok. (a bunch of other stuff I grabbed at the same time looks ok as
well)

I am trying to un-tar it with the tar that comes w/SunOS 4.1.1.

--John

=================================
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (140.221.1.141,2266) (0 bytes).
cnews.tar.Z
reap.sh.Z
rn.tar.Z
sdbm01.Z
sdbm02.Z
sdbm03.Z
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
64 bytes received in 7e-06 seconds (8.9e+03 Kbytes/s)
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get cnews.tar.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Binary data connection for cnews.tar.Z (140.221.1.141,2267) (626056 bytes).
226 Binary Transfer complete.
626056 bytes received in 24 seconds (26 Kbytes/s)
ftp> ^D
221 Goodbye.
(sirius)(100)% zcat sdbm01.Z | tar tf -
tar: directory checksum error (0 != 38858)
(sirius)(101)% zcat sdbm02.Z | tar tf -
tar: directory checksum error (0 != 38830)
(sirius)(102)% zcat sdbm03.Z | tar tf -
tar: directory checksum error (0 != 38846)
(sirius)(103)% zcat cnews.tar.Z | tar tf -
cnews
cnews/PATCHDATES
cnews/batch
cnews/batch/README
cnews/batch/batchparms
cnews/batch/coder.h
cnews/batch/comp
cnews/batch/compb
cnews/batch/compc7
cnews/batch/compcun
cnews/batch/compcun.z
cnews/batch/foo
cnews/batch/nocomp
cnews/batch/viaemail
cnews/batch/viainews
cnews/batch/viamail
cnews/batch/viapmail
cnews/batch/viarsh
cnews/batch/viauux
cnews/batch/viauux.z
cnews/batch/viauuxcun
cnews/batch/viauuxz
cnews/batch/batchih
cnews/batch/batchsm
cnews/batch/viauuxl
cnews/batch/bencode.1
cnews/batch/bencode.c
cnews/batch/nohup.out
cnews/batch/batcher.c
cnews/batch/batchsplit
cnews/batch/batchsplit.z
cnews/batch/c7encode.c
cnews/batch/crctab.c
cnews/batch/sendbatches
cnews/batch/sendbatches.z
cnews/batch/Makefile
cnews/conf
cnews/conf/active
cnews/conf/ask
cnews/conf/bar
cnews/conf/do_subst.sh
cnews/conf/errlog
cnews/conf/history
cnews/conf/history.dir
cnews/conf/history.pag
cnews/conf/hostname
cnews/conf/localgroups
cnews/conf/log
cnews/conf/mailname
cnews/conf/mailpaths
cnews/conf/newslock.sh
cnews/conf/notinlist
cnews/conf/organization
cnews/conf/postdefltdist
tar: directory checksum error (7892 != 7380)
(sirius)(87)%

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !

root@trystro.uucp (Rick Nickle) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr10.201003.1638@mcs.anl.gov> winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) writes:

>Is this only me?  What version of tar was used to create the cnews tar file?
>the sdbm archives as well as the cnews archive look hosed, while the rn & reap
>stuff seems ok. (a bunch of other stuff I grabbed at the same time looks ok as
>well)
>
>I am trying to un-tar it with the tar that comes w/SunOS 4.1.1.
>
>--John

I have gotten some complaints about this, and now can finally post it
to our group (my first post to the net, actually) to let everyone know
the score:

I put cnews.tar.Z up in 'ustar' format.  This is the tar that comes
with 3.1.0.  I stayed away from Coherent's stock tar because I have
had bad experiences with it before in the past.  I probably should've
marked it as cnews.ustar.Z, but after staying up 7 hours late to
kermit the sucker to my local FTP site so I could FTP it to piggy,
I may not have been thinking very clearly.

Rick

>--
>! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
>! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !
>!"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"-- Tom Waits  !

--
Richard Nickle
The Trystro System		rick@trystro.UUCP