[comp.os.coherent] SLIP, TCP/IP & Driver Kit for Coherent

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr13.100211.5937@pegasus.com> tony@pegasus.com (Anthony Hoelscher) writes:
>I have a potentially dumb question.
>
>I've already seen a discussion here about implenting TCP/IP on Coherent and
>noticed the comment that for now it's a dream due to Coherent's 64K.

Remember that Coherent allows 64K code & 64K Data...  The SMALL memory
model... not the CP/M memory model ;-)

>So does the inability to get TCP/IP working on Coherent also rule out the
>possibility of running a SLIP type connection?  I ask this since I don't
>have a full understanding of SLIP -- does SLIP work independently of
>TCP/IP or does it work on top of TCP/IP?
>
>thanks and aloha

Aloha??  Very punny!

SLIP sitts under TCP/IP so you need TCP/IP as well.  If all you wanna
do is support 1 (and only 1) socket/session (like to support a telnet
or FTP link) You should be able to do that in Coherent pretty easily.

In fact, since the Coherent Driver Development Kit comes with the source
for an ARCNET driver, some of the grunge work is already done... if you
can deal with ARCNET.

I am probably going to join the group of people working on TCP/IP for
Coherent.  My first view on the project is positive because there are
enough minor device numbers/device to write a multiplexed stream driver
for something like an ethernet card.  There is support for allocating
segments of memory for use by the driver (don't know how many yet...
probably just 1 64K chunk.)  And I have seen UDP-level TCP/IP services
supplied in less than 64K of code and 64K of data  (see PCBRIDGE...
an ethernet gateway package that runs under DOS) so...  I think a streams
version of TCP/IP can be done.

Has anyone out there done messing around with the Driver Development Kit
stuff yet?  So far, I have only rummaged around thru the sources.
--John

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !