[comp.os.coherent] delete Coherent partition

suhaimi@uop.edu (Muhammad Selamat) (04/12/91)

Hi,
	I'm going to put my Coherent to my new 40M HD (Segate 157A) and
	I want to know if there any difficulties on installing Coherent
	on it. Right now I've Coherent partitions on my WD Caviar 80M
	IDE HD. What I want to do right now is to delete Coherent
	partitions on my 80M HD. I have heard that it is difficult to
	delete Coherent partitions (and it happened to me too last time
	when I want change to a new 80M HD.. at last I reformated it using
	WD special formater and I know it dangerous to do that!).
	Any help is really appreciated... Thanks in advance.

	-mid-
	hamid@uop.edu
	uop!mhm!hamid

ins_wayne@actew.oz.au (04/14/91)

In article <280553ac.1294@uop.uop.edu>, suhaimi@uop.edu (Muhammad Selamat) writes:
> Hi,
> 	I'm going to put my Coherent to my new 40M HD (Segate 157A) and
> 	I want to know if there any difficulties on installing Coherent
> 	on it. Right now I've Coherent partitions on my WD Caviar 80M
> 	IDE HD. What I want to do right now is to delete Coherent
> 	partitions on my 80M HD. I have heard that it is difficult to
> 	delete Coherent partitions (and it happened to me too last time
> 	when I want change to a new 80M HD.. at last I reformated it using
> 	WD special formater and I know it dangerous to do that!).

  Ouch.  Yes, you need to be very careful with IDEs.  I played
  around with Coherent for a few months and sold my copy a while
  back.  The most effective way I found to eliminate the "Mark
  Williams" boot message was to edit the boot track with the
  Norton Utility.  Just put NULs in the first few bytes, then
  partition and SYS it again.  Voila!  No more Mark Williams messages.

  If you want to trash the contents of the disk entirely, the best
  bet is to fill the partition table with NULs.  At least the
  first 128 bytes.

  If all you want to do is delete the partitions, the Norton
  Utility has a partition table editor.  Disk Manager can also
  handle the MWC entries properly.

  BEWARE: back up everything before you start hacking disks in
  absolute sector mode!  If you are reformatting the entire drive
  anyway, this avoids the necessity to low-level format the drive.

  However, normal MFM and RLL drives *should* be low-level
  formatted about twice a year for optimum performance.  Not
  speed, reliability and integrity are the questions here.

> 	Any help is really appreciated... Thanks in advance.

  Hope this helps.  DO A BACKUP FIRST!  If you have two drives,
  disconnect the other drive if possible.  It could save an
  embarrassing mishap! :-)

--
Wayne Myles             Email: ins_wayne@actew.oz.au, wsm@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
System Manager,	        Snail: GPO Box 366, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia.