[comp.os.coherent] Coherent UUCP

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) (04/12/91)

I'm using uuxqt.310b from the mwcbbs... When I receive mail from
remote systems, uuxqt never executes to indicate I have mail. I
have it in crontab, to run every 5 minutes, but for some reason,
it is not getting kicked off. I can execute uuxqt manually &
have the mail delivered, however. I'm using Coherent's 310 mail
release. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, since I'm
pretty green at this stuff.

Lori Pape
lpape@ficc.ferranti.com

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/13/91)

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) writes:

>I'm using uuxqt.310b from the mwcbbs... When I receive mail from
>remote systems, uuxqt never executes to indicate I have mail. I
>have it in crontab, to run every 5 minutes, but for some reason,
>it is not getting kicked off. I can execute uuxqt manually &
>have the mail delivered, however. I'm using Coherent's 310 mail
>release. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, since I'm
>pretty green at this stuff.

I also was fighting with Coherent 3.1.0 and the UUCP-Package after my
harddisk with 386/ix crashed and I wanted to use Coherent as "EMERGENCY
Mailsystem".
UUCICO should invoke UUXQT automatically after receiving UUCP-Files.
Check Permissions:  -r-s--s--x  uucp  uucp  uuxqt (and uucico).

When the entry in crontab is proceeded by su uucp it didn't work. Two weeks
ago I send a question to MWC but still got no answer (Hal, Norman, where
are you?)
All stuff in /usr/lib/uucp is group/owner uucp, also in /usr/spool/uucp.
In the directory /usr/spool/uucp/.Log you find an entry for uucico and
uuxqt. You should try to call out with  -x5 or higher to get as many infor-
mations as possible. Afterwards you look into these logfiles what goes wrong
or what did work.
You should find a solution for these problem. I also lost some mails before
Coherent UUCP,Mail works as assumed.

Hope that helps

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    D-6050 Offenbach am Main           +-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) (04/13/91)

I've gotten several responses to my question about Coherernt's
uuxqt not delivering remote mail ... THANKS!

John Winans (winans@mcs.anl.gov) responded with the following and
asked that I post it for others to see:

>Your statement is not exactly clear on if the uuxqt program actually runs or
>not.  If it is actually running after the uucp link closes & it spools the mail
>and all that, then I have no idea what is going wrong.  Otherwise...
>Hmmm.. I suspect permission problems of some type.  I do NOT use the 310b
>from MWCBBS, because I am lazy (I guess.)  I can however see that the 310
>vanilla version has the following 'ls' line under /usr/lib/uucp:

>-r-s--s--x uucp uucp    16050 Wed Oct 24  1990 uuxqt

Mine's set up the same way. Same for uucico.

>And (by the way) works fine for me...  I suppose you could replace the
>uuxqt file with a script that writes dates & times into a log file, then
>exec's the 'real' one.  This way, you would at least know if it is being
>started by the uucp transaction or not.

I'll try that & let ya know.

>As far as cron goes...  I posetd a note the other day about Coherent's cron
>program not wanting to run when started from the rc file.  I have not
>gotten together with MWC on it yet, but the general deal was as follows:

>The distributed /etc/rc file has the following lines in it:

>/etc/update&
>/etc/cron&

>and for some reason, they diddn't appear to be running on my system
>after the startup file finished running.  (In case you don't know,
>there should ALWAYS be a cron and an update process runing on a multi-user
>Coherent  system.)  This was verified by running a 'ps -ald' and looking
>for it.  In fact I places a ps -ald in /etc/rc to see if the termination of
>the script had anything to do with it... apparantly not.

>After some putzing around I ended upchanging the /etc/rc file lines to:

>/etc/update > /dev/console &
>/etc/cron > /dev/console &

>(Alert readers will note that my origional note mentioned /dev/null. But
>now that I took a look at the file, I can see that was wrong & in fact I
>THINK that the /dev/null redirect failed to work too.  But like I said
>before, it was a while ago... try for yourself.)

>Thanx,
>--John
stuff deleted..

--
>! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
>! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !
>!                                                                       !
>!"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"-- Tom Waits  !

On my system, cron does appear to be running. It kicks off (correctly)
the nightly poll which I entered in crontab as:

15 01 * * * /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -ssitename

My uuxqt line in crontab is:
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 **** su uucp sh /usr/lib/uucp/uuxqt

The nightly cleanup of uucp logs works, and is initiated with:
00 03 * * 1-5 su uucp sh /usr/lib/uucp/uumvlog 5

Permissions on /usr/lib/uucp/uumvlog are -r-xr-xr-x uucp uucp

I even removed password permission from uucp (argh) because I know this
has caused other problems on Coherent. Didn't help, apparently.

The incoming mail gets stored in /usr/spool/uucp/sitename as D.blahblah
and X.blahblah files.  I'm not sure that is okay, I kinda expected it to
be in /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir (?) But since invoking uuxqt manually makes it
all get delivered, I guess that's ok.

The files in /usr/spool/uucp/sitename are owned by uucp, group uucp, and
have -rw-rw-rw- permissions.

Shoot, at this point, I might just drop back to the "old" uuxqt & see
what happens. I remember someone else reported similar behavior with the
new one & I know MWC is working on a new set of uucp binaries..

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far.. If I get it working, I'll
post something.

Lori

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com   (til I get this stuff WORKING!!)

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (04/15/91)

In article <JONAPQ7@xds7.ferranti.com> lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) writes:
>I'm using uuxqt.310b from the mwcbbs... When I receive mail from
>remote systems, uuxqt never executes to indicate I have mail. I
>have it in crontab, to run every 5 minutes, but for some reason,
>it is not getting kicked off. I can execute uuxqt manually &
>have the mail delivered, however. I'm using Coherent's 310 mail
>release. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, since I'm
>pretty green at this stuff.

   I had the same problem initially.  My guess is that you're signed on as root
when you execute uuxqt manually.  Check the permissions on the uuxqt program.
After uucp runs uucico, it executes uuxqt to process all remote requested
commands.  I ran "chmod 555" on uuxqt to solve the problem.

   One of the most common problems when running things from cron, such as uucp
or mail programs, are incorrect permissions on files.  To become more familiar
with permissions review your docs for the chmod command and the uucp
Permissions file (a uucp function).  This could save you a lot of headache in
the process of learning the system.

shawn
shawn@jpr.com

>Lori Pape
>lpape@ficc.ferranti.com

--                          Shawn R. Blair                                   --
--                          shawn@jpr.com                                    --