[comp.os.coherent] ...problems uucp-ing mwcbbs

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (04/15/91)

i can kermit there okay, but not uucp.  the log file says i've got the
wrong baud rate but i feel like i've tried everything including
changing all the relevant files.  i have to run in polled mode because
coherent isn't handling interrupts right for my machine.  mwc says
call up their bbs and download the new kernel they've written which
handles interrupts much differently.  but i can't do that because i
can't uucp there!  anyone else had this problem?
jeff stern.
------------------------->jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu<-------------------------

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (04/15/91)

In article <2808CCF2.18934@orion.oac.uci.edu> jstern@orion.oac.uci.ed writes:

>i can kermit there okay, but not uucp.  the log file says i've got the
>wrong baud rate but i feel like i've tried everything including
>changing all the relevant files.  i have to run in polled mode because
>coherent isn't handling interrupts right for my machine.  mwc says
>call up their bbs and download the new kernel they've written which
>handles interrupts much differently.  but i can't do that because i
>can't uucp there!  anyone else had this problem?
>jeff stern.

Yes, I posted something the other day to someone about modem problems, it has
been a while, but now that I see the 'wrong baud' note, it comes back.  I had
this EXACT same problem when I first installed mine.  It turns out to be that
the baud rates in the /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file does not match that of...
uhmmmm... aw shucks! where do you spec the baud for the com port when you
just have a terminal on it??  is that one of the letters in the /etc/ttys
file config lines???

It would appear that the dialing and waiting for the CONNECT message is all
done at the baud rate spec'd in the /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file, and that the
baud used for the UUCP-ing is that snarffed from the /etc/ttys(?) file.  Even
though I have my com device set to 'off' in the /etc/ttys file, I can see
that the baud and line control is gotten from there and used during the
UUCP session. (I set it to off, so there is no getty/login on it... it is a
one-way link.)

I ended up having to lock the modem baud rate, so that if I connected at a
baud rate not matching the dialed out baud rate, it would work ok.  With
respect to the MWCBBS, I have NEVER gotten a usable link to it's 2400 baud
line.  I always call their pep line (that was not answering last friday, by
the way.)  It looks like their 2400 baud line (even from kermit) gives me
about 1 character per second at 2400 baud.  I have seen this on my ttys too
sometimes & don't have a very good handle on it yet.  Perhaps the port is
not supplying interrupts properly and it ends up running in polled mode??

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !