[comp.os.coherent] HD size for Coherent

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (04/08/91)

To all: I have been reading about people partioning their 20mg HDDs to run
Coherent, and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My question is: is this
realistic or do people think I should buy another 20mg HD just for Coherent?
I realize this is a subjective question and has a lot to do with how much
software I keep along with Coherent but (of course) cost is the issue.

						Thanks, Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/12/91)

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:

>To all: I have been reading about people partioning their 20mg HDDs to run
>Coherent, and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My question is: is this
>realistic or do people think I should buy another 20mg HD just for Coherent?

10 MB is enough when you only want the standard installation and some space
for programs. I now use 80 MB for Coherent and think about buying a larger
disk. It is just a problem if you like Coherent or not.
But 10 MB is too small when you really want to work with Coherent. Never-
theless it is enough for installing but nothing more.

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.173519.450@jrix.radig.de> joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:
>ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:

>>To all: I have been reading about people partioning their 20mg HDDs to run
>>Coherent, and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My question is: is this
>>realistic or do people think I should buy another 20mg HD just for Coherent?

>10 MB is enough when you only want the standard installation and some space
>for programs. I now use 80 MB for Coherent and think about buying a larger
>disk. It is just a problem if you like Coherent or not.
>But 10 MB is too small when you really want to work with Coherent. Never-
>theless it is enough for installing but nothing more.

I have two 80 MB drives.  One is partitioned as 60 MB for / and /usr, and
20 MB as a /src area.  The other 80 MB drive is my news spool.

You can never have enough space.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr8.135346.23166@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:
>To all: I have been reading about people partioning their 20mg HDDs to run
>Coherent, and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My question is: is this
>realistic or do people think I should buy another 20mg HD just for Coherent?
>I realize this is a subjective question and has a lot to do with how much
>software I keep along with Coherent but (of course) cost is the issue.
>
>						Thanks, Larry Stern
>
>--
>
>Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

I currently use 60 MB for Coherent.  I started with 20 MB, then realized that
was just too small.  Then I added another 20 MB - filled that up in two
weeks.  Now, I have replaced one of the 20s with a 40 and have 60 MB.
But I just got CNews running and /root only has 10 MB left.  I'll be
adding another 50 next week, for a total of 90 MB.  Once you start getting
things going, that space goes fast.  If people can afford it, start with
at least 40 for Coherent and see where it goes.  If you want to run news,
START with 80.  60 MB for 10 days of mail is quite a lot.

-Nathan Lane
nlane@well.sf.ca.us
mwcbbs!arkady!nathan

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/16/91)

In article <24203@well.sf.ca.us> nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:

>at least 40 for Coherent and see where it goes.  If you want to run news,
>START with 80.  60 MB for 10 days of mail is quite a lot.

This depends on what you want to get for news groups...  It really has
nothing to do with Coherent, but is a reflection on how much space news
articles / history/log files take.  With a 3 day expiration on news,
with about 1100 newsgroups, I use around 120mb.  At work, with a 5 day
expiration, usage is closer to 200mb.

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill