[comp.os.coherent] Inadequate Kermit

boutland@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Boutland) (04/16/91)

  I recently got a copy of Coherent and so far am quite
satisfied with its performance and features, except for
the Kermit that comes with it. Kermit is fine for file
transfers but little else. I do a lot of work on a
Pyramid computer running UNIX System V. The system also
supports ucb, csh and ksh environments. Coherent's Kermit
seems to have little idea of what sort of terminal I am using.
I've managed to get somewhere by specifying my vt100 terminal
as being a 4410 but this is still inadequate both for running
vi and emacs, so much so that I'm tending to use MINIX rather
than Coherent. The MINIX has a copy of term which seems to do
satisfactory terminal emulation, or whatever you call it (I'm
not well up with this sort of stuff). Can anyone advise me
on this problem ?

PS. The Coherent version is 3.1.0

wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.013538.24340@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, boutland@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Boutland) writes:

> Coherent's Kermit seems to have little idea of what sort of
> terminal I am using.

Kermit gives you a transparent connection - it doesn't do any emulation
- so it doesn't care what type of terminal you're using.

The type of terminal you should specifiy to any remote system is the
type of terminal your console emulates. That's not determined by Kermit
- that's built into the console driver. Which leads to the question you
really wanted to ask: what type of terminal does the Coherent console
driver emulate? Since I don't have Coherent, I don't know. But, since I
am thinking about it, I'm just as interested as you in finding out.

Anybody?

--
               Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
                (..!uunet!srlvx0.srl.ford.com!wehr%dptc.decnet)

ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil (Edward P. Ratazzi) (04/18/91)

In article <40308@fmsrl7.UUCP> wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.013538.24340@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, boutland@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Boutland) writes:
>>
>> Coherent's Kermit seems to have little idea of what sort of
>> terminal I am using.
>
>Kermit gives you a transparent connection - it doesn't do any emulation
>- so it doesn't care what type of terminal you're using.
>
>The type of terminal you should specifiy to any remote system is the
>type of terminal your console emulates. That's not determined by Kermit
>- that's built into the console driver. Which leads to the question you
>really wanted to ask: what type of terminal does the Coherent console
>driver emulate? Since I don't have Coherent, I don't know. But, since I
>am thinking about it, I'm just as interested as you in finding out.

It seems to be an ANSI emulation.

This leads to another question:  What (if any) terminal emulators are
available for Coherent?  Is there anything like a VT100 emulator which
would allow for the use of the numeric keypad?  How about graphics terminal
emulation (Tek40XX)?

One of the problems I'm having in becoming a user of Coherent exclusively
(i.e. not having to switch over to DOS for certain tasks) is my lack of a
good terminal emulator.  I made an attempt at getting pcomm (from
comp.unix.sources) running, but it seems that it's too large a program for
Coherent.

Anybody got any ideas?

TIA,

--
E. Paul Ratazzi                                |      ratazzie@lonex.radc.af.mil
Microelectronics Reliability Division          |            COMPMAIL:  e.ratazzi