[comp.os.coherent] To buy or not to buy?

mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) (04/13/91)

Hi there,
	I received from coherent a brochure to buy 6Mbytes of Coherent
Compatible software that has been pulled of the MWC BBS. They want $40 for
it. Does anyone know whether you get "better" documentation or if there are
any other reasons to purchase the software instead of downloading them from
an FTP site. My guess is that they are making it cheaper for users with a modem
to get a hold of the software. Any comments?

Thanks,

Michael Levy
Department of Computer Science and Systems
McMaster University

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (04/14/91)

In article <28060B2B.20860@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) writes:
>Hi there,
>	I received from coherent a brochure to buy 6Mbytes of Coherent
>Compatible software that has been pulled of the MWC BBS. They want $40 for
>it. Does anyone know whether you get "better" documentation or if there are
>any other reasons to purchase the software instead of downloading them from
>an FTP site. My guess is that they are making it cheaper for users with a modem
>to get a hold of the software. Any comments?

I've got Coherent.  They just give you a list of the files with one-sentence
descriptions of each.  No advantage, except phone bills...

--Jeff.
------------------------->jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu<-------------------------

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (04/19/91)

In article <28060B2B.20860@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) writes:
>Hi there,
>	I received from coherent a brochure to buy 6Mbytes of Coherent
>Compatible software that has been pulled of the MWC BBS. They want $40 for
>it. Does anyone know whether you get "better" documentation or if there are
>any other reasons to purchase the software instead of downloading them from
>an FTP site. My guess is that they are making it cheaper for users with a modem
>to get a hold of the software. Any comments?

  Reasons for paying the $35 would include inability to uucp all the software
from mwcbbs to your own machine, lack of access to the ftp sites, general
laziness (no critisism there :>).  I think the real deal is the $39 driver
developer package.

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --