[comp.os.coherent] Announcing posting of WNEWS 3.0 - no more mails please

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/20/91)

Hi,

after posting the sources of TASS I just got one mail not to post sources.
But was flooded with Mails from all over the world:

              Please post ......

So I will post WNEWS 3.0, starting Sunday, the 28th of April. I just
have to verify that expire works, I never tested it. So be patient.

WNEWS 3.0 is 120 k compressed and will be posted in 4 * 30 kb splitted
files, 2 on Sunday, 2 on Monday.
60 k the day is enough, I'm just thinking about the guy that posted the
same day whole nethack to comp.sys.acorn.

Thanks for all the friendly mails

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    D-6050 Offenbach am Main           +-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/23/91)

Posting stopped, read the article about that stuff.

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+

MadVAX@uop.uop.edu (MadVAX) (04/23/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

> Posting stopped, read the article about that stuff.

	Ugghhh!!! To bad! I don't know if we really need a new newsgroup
	for just posting a source code since comp.os.coherent is too new
	to split. BTW, if someone know how to create alternative
	newsgroup like alt.coherent.sources, please do.. I know there're
	many sites does not carry alt.* newsgroup, but we've no more
	option.

> Joachim

p/s Joachim, if you can post the diff, I'm really appreciate it since
diff file is small I guess (since you said that there're no problem on
porting WNEWS except for batch or unbatch only).

--
*-------------------------*----------------------------------------*
| Mohd H Misnan           | INET: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu           |

explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) (04/23/91)

In <kR0YXz6@uop.uop.edu> MadVAX@uop.uop.edu (MadVAX) writes:

>	Ugghhh!!! To bad! I don't know if we really need a new newsgroup
>	for just posting a source code since comp.os.coherent is too new
>	to split. BTW, if someone know how to create alternative
>	newsgroup like alt.coherent.sources, please do.. I know there're
>	many sites does not carry alt.* newsgroup, but we've no more
>	option.

Sources *AND* binaries are important.  I have access to a FTP site, but
not durring the summer.  I don't know that I'd want to receive a lot of
sources at that time, so I guess I'm pretty much on both sides of the debate.

If sources are going to be posted, create a new group, and do it *NOW* because
the longer we wait, the longer this issue will cause grief.

>p/s Joachim, if you can post the diff, I'm really appreciate it since
>diff file is small I guess (since you said that there're no problem on
>porting WNEWS except for batch or unbatch only).

Diffs are nice, after the original source is posted.  Most people won't
have the source, so the diff is a real waste of net traffic.

Just imagine how many mail requests someone gets when they proclaim ``I
have this program running'' and you'll see the need for new newsgroups.

--Michael