[comp.os.coherent] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 5

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Abbie Hoffman) (04/24/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 5      Tue Apr 23 14:52:00 CDT 1991

Today's Topics:

   Anyone using UUPC to dial in to Coherent?
   FTP for those who can't
   CoMB
   How to get files from piggy via email (forward)

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

  [Only four messages all week?  Hmmm... Ed.]

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 22:31 -0500
From: John B Harlan <IJBH200@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU>
To: Coherent, comp-os-coherent@UCBVAX.Berkeley.Edu
Subject: Anyone using UUPC to dial in to Coherent?

     Has anyone yet tried using UUPC under DOS to dial in to a Coherent
system as a subhost to pick up / drop off mail?

 +                                                                      +
   John                           B                              Harlan

   125 West Marion Street    529     IJBH200@IndyVAX               CREN
   South Bend Indiana 46601 1096     IJBH200@IndyVAX.IUPUI.Edu Internet
   U             S             A     IVAX::IJBH200           IU Network
 +                                                                      +

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 91 14:15:09 EDT
From: Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: FTP for those who can't

I've noticed several entries in the last few days from people who don't have
ftp access to piggy. I don't either, but I can get to it via email from the
ftp server at princeton.

Just email the server an ftp script, and it will do the transfer, and email
you the result. It may take several day, but it really does work!!

For info, send email to:

       bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu

with the single word

       HELP

as the body of the letter. You will be sent instructions on how to do it.

Hope this helps...
                       -Larry

------------------------------

Date: 21 Apr 91 16:10:57 EDT
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: CoMB

Rick,
    I finally got around to playing with Comb again....it is only on the
console that it works. When I tried on the console everything works
fine...except that I have trouble reading short messages...seems that
when I press ENTER it takes it in twice so short messages scroll off
the screen. Anyhow...is there any way of making it work remotely? That
is the bulk of my usage for Coherent (95%).

Let me know...

- -Stephane

sdoucet@f1link.ocunix.ca
[D

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 10:25:38 CDT
From: Scott Rose <rose>
To: coherent
Subject: How to get files from piggy via email (forward)

This appeared on comp.os.coherent, and may well be of interest to sites
not on the Internet.

	-Ed.

To: rose
Cc: cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 15:35:03 -0400
From: "Chris Webster" <cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu>

I messed up the mail; it bounced.  Hence, I am forwarding this.  You may
want to post this to the digest.

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 12:05:34 -0400
>From: "Chris Webster" <cwebster>

I seemed to reply too soon.  It seems a mail server exists:

>From uupsi!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!wuarchive!rex!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!hans Sun Apr 21 12:04:20 EDT 1991
Article: 143 of comp.os.coherent
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Subject: How to get files from piggy via mail
Date: 19 Apr 91 19:58:42 GMT
Sender: news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

For all you unlucky people without ftp access, there is a way to get
files from piggy (or any machine) send to you via uuencoded mail.

Do the following:
send a mail message to bitftp@pucc.bitnet with the following body

FTP piggy.ucsb.edu UUENCODE        (or use 128.111.72.50 for host)
USER anonymous
..more ftp commands
..for example:
CD pub
CD coherent
bin               ( >>>> very important for binary (.Z etc) files)
get ls-lR.Z       (a listing)
QUIT		  (always end with quit)

The reply will be send to you via mail message; MAKE SURE YOUR FROM:
LINE IS CORRECT AND COMPLETE!!

You can give other ftp commands as dir and help.

This ftp server was established for bitnet users, but I don't see why
other non-ftp users can't use it.  I tried it and you don't have to be
on BITNET to use it.

I have nothing to do with this server, I just found out how to use it
and pass that information through to you; please don't send me tons of
mail.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)
>>>          Hoe ver je ook gaat, overal zie je landgenoten           <<<

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 5

--
	Scott Rose