[comp.os.coherent] modem wont dial

chukran@austin.iinus1.ibm.com (04/22/91)

I have a very basic problem that I would suspect cant be broken
(on 3.10) since I hear of lots of folks uucping everywhere.
Im just trying to dial out using kermit.  The modem wont dial out
because its not receiving the dial string.  Rather than get into
the details of how I am using/abusing kermit, Ill describe some basic

The modem works fine under dos on com2.  Therefore the hardware is
OK, and I know what the various commands are.  Using something
very basic like
cat >/dev/com2l
ATDT5551212
pause here to wait for the modem to dial - no luck
^D

doesnt produce a modem response.  THe DTR light comes on while the
device is open, but no other lights.  Ive tried com2r, com2pr, com2pl,
and even switched to com1.  The ttys file shows the port is not
enabled for getty.  Any ideas before I call this one in?

Rudy Chukran

gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (04/24/91)

chukran@austin.iinus1.ibm.com writes:

>I have a very basic problem that I would suspect cant be broken
>(on 3.10) since I hear of lots of folks uucping everywhere.
>Im just trying to dial out using kermit.  The modem wont dial out
>because its not receiving the dial string.  Rather than get into
>the details of how I am using/abusing kermit, Ill describe some basic
>
>The modem works fine under dos on com2.  Therefore the hardware is
>OK, and I know what the various commands are.  Using something
>very basic like
>cat >/dev/com2l
>ATDT5551212
>pause here to wait for the modem to dial - no luck
>
>doesnt produce a modem response.  THe DTR light comes on while the
>device is open, but no other lights.  Ive tried com2r, com2pr, com2pl,
>and even switched to com1.  The ttys file shows the port is not
>enabled for getty.  Any ideas before I call this one in?

First of all, the fact that the modem does not work under Coherent and does work
under does proves very little. DOS uses polling for it's terminal access and
a very simple (and stupid) polling algorythm at that. Since the DTR light
comes on I infer that you have an external modem. It is probably good.

You may have your com port messed up. Make sure that it is set to com2, irq 3.
I use a simple script to reset my modem when I boot Coherent, enclosed for
your use.

Note that you must specify the LOCAL form of the line, ie. com2l or com2pl.
Specify it as 2l for com2l.

The DTR light will go out at the end of each echo.

#set -x
port="/dev/com$1"
echo -n "+++" >$port
sleep 3
echo "ATS0=0" >$port
echo "port $port autoanswer set off."  >/dev/console

You must also set the default speed of your com port. To do this you have to
patch the kernal (ouch). The default speed is 9600 baud. To switch it to 2400
baud, follow this procedure:

Logon as root.

cp /coherent /newcoh

/conf/patch  /newcoh C2BAUD_=12

shutdown

Note that it is all in lowercase except for C2BAUD which is in upper case.
Also note the character after C2BAUD is an underscore.

This procedure is documented in the lexicon entry "com" in the 3.1.0
update release notes.

reboot with using newcoh. I can't try it now, but I think you boot and as soon
as you see the message AT BOOT type "newcoh".

If it works,

rm /coherent.o
mv /coherent /coherent.o
mv /newcoh /coherent

If you can't get the booter to switch kernals, use the following alternate
method: (But much more dangerous)

Logon as root.

cp /coherent /coherent.old

/conf/patch  /coherent C2BAUD_=12

shutdown

reboot.

If it fails to boot, boot from the original install disk 1.

1. You will see "AT BOOT ?" type coherent (enter).

2. You will see "Hit enter to continue" press control-c

3. mount the hard disk partition as /mnt
	for example if coherent is partiton 0 of your hard disk

	mount /dev/at0a /mnt

4. rename coherent kernal on your hard disk.

	mv /mnt/coherent /mnt/coherent.n
	mv /mnt/coherent.o /mnt/coherent

5. unmount your hard disk

	umount /dev/fha0

6. flush buffers

	sync
	sync

		(yes, do it twice)

7. reboot from the hard disk.

Disclaimer: If you mess up your system, I am not responsible.

Kernal patching in general is documented in the Driver Kit documentation.
IMHO, the book alone is worth the price.
------
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
geoffrey@mendelson.com
(215) 242-8712

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/24/91)

In article <6885@awdprime.UUCP> chukran@austin.iinus1.ibm.com writes:
>I have a very basic problem that I would suspect cant be broken
>(on 3.10) since I hear of lots of folks uucping everywhere.
>Im just trying to dial out using kermit.  The modem wont dial out
>because its not receiving the dial string.  Rather than get into
>the details of how I am using/abusing kermit, Ill describe some basic
>
>The modem works fine under dos on com2.  Therefore the hardware is
>OK, and I know what the various commands are.  Using something
>very basic like
>cat >/dev/com2l
>ATDT5551212
>pause here to wait for the modem to dial - no luck
>^D
>
>doesnt produce a modem response.  THe DTR light comes on while the
>device is open, but no other lights.  Ive tried com2r, com2pr, com2pl,
>and even switched to com1.  The ttys file shows the port is not
>enabled for getty.  Any ideas before I call this one in?

This sounds like a baudrate problem to me.

How are you invoking kermit?

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP