[comp.os.coherent] How to port TASS 3.2 to Coherent

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/21/91)

Here is the description how to port the new TASS 3.2 to Coherent.
When I first tried to port it from MINIX it was more difficult. But
now it is so easy you can add the changes by editing the 4 files:

Makefile:

CFLAGS= -DCOHERENT
LIBS= -lterm -lndir
fixstack 1000 tass

curses.c:

use that of TASS 3.0/Coherent, rename Clr2Eoln ()  to CleartoEOLN

or the new one:

Replace wherever sgtty is used

#ifdef BSD     by  #ifdef COHERENT      (with termio keyboard didn't work)

main.c:

at the end of the file there is system-call replacement for mkdir.
replace #ifdef M_XENIX  by  #ifdef COHERENT

mail.c:

add  #define  off_t  long

That is all folks. Who now couldn't get TASS 3.2 compiled will be punished
by selling his Coherent.

Have fun with TASS,

Joachim

PS: Remember: I did not write TASS, I still added this five lines.
So you should mail a "Thank you" to the author if you like the program:

Rich Skrenta  ( skrenta@blekko.commodore.com )

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

MadVAX@uop.uop.edu (MadVAX) (04/23/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

> curses.c:
>
> use that of TASS 3.0/Coherent, rename Clr2Eoln ()  to CleartoEOLN

	Better alternative, #define CleartoEOLN Clr2EOLN in wmail.h.

> That is all folks. Who now couldn't get TASS 3.2 compiled will be punished
> by selling his Coherent.

	Has anyone get it work with Cnews? I've tried to do posting from
	Tass but suddenly it reboot when executing inews? Any idea?

> Have fun with TASS,

	Yeah, but beware.. it create many small files in your /.tindx..

> PS: Remember: I did not write TASS, I still added this five lines.
> So you should mail a "Thank you" to the author if you like the program:

	Thanks Rich!
--
*-------------------------*----------------------------------------*
| Mohd H Misnan           | INET: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu           |

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/25/91)

MadVAX@uop.uop.edu (MadVAX) writes:

> 	Better alternative, #define CleartoEOLN Clr2EOLN in wmail.h.

This function is only used in one of the Files so I just gave one solution,
there are a lot of other ways to do that.

> 	Has anyone get it work with Cnews? I've tried to do posting from
> 	Tass but suddenly it reboot when executing inews? Any idea?

I only tried it with WNEWS 3.0 and had no problems. I still wait for the
diskette with CNews/Coherent. This article is written from within TASS 3.2
and sent by CNEWS but on my Interactive System.

> 	Yeah, but beware.. it create many small files in your /.tindx..
You shouldn't use tass -u ! tass -u creates for every newsgroup one file

You should try NN and find several megabytes of data in /usr/spool/nn.
Nevertheless is NN  too big for Coherent. When I get CNEWS/CO I will
test it.

> > PS: Remember: I did not write TASS, I still added this five lines.
> > So you should mail a "Thank you" to the author if you like the program:
>
> 	Thanks Rich!

Interesting way of mailing I think

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/25/91)

> MadVAX@uop.uop.edu (MadVAX) writes:
>
> > 	Has anyone get it work with Cnews? I've tried to do posting from
> > 	Tass but suddenly it reboot when executing inews? Any idea?

BTW, try another fixstack-value (i.e. fixstack nowValue+1000 tass).
That should help. Looks like a stack overrun and Coherent is up, up and away.

Joachim