[comp.os.coherent] WNEWS 3.0 - Someone suggested not to post it

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/23/91)

Hello,

I once had the idea (article: Posting sources - experiences and thoughts)
that the posting of sources should be announced early so the posting can
be prevented. I announced WNEWS 3.0 and now got one of these mails.

--- Name of sender intentionally left blank  -  Fire Department J.R. ---

First of all, I appreciate your porting efforts.  They're useful.

However, I don't think that you should post the sources.  Here's why:
You should be able to use a Mail server to access an ftp site.  I am
enclosing another message (that was posted to comp.os.coherent) about
how to do this.

I would suggest that you find someone whom you could mail your posts to, and
then  have this person ftp them to an ftp site.  I'd offer to do it, but I
am a student, and not always around-- hence, I might lose your mail, or
something along those lines.

Again, thanks for your porting efforts.

Here was a forwarded message appended (Hans van Oostrom wrote in an
article how to get mail from a mail server, but he didn't send the above
mail, he was the first one that sent me a positive mail after posting TASS.)

Here for all people in the USA:

In Germany mail costs 30 cents for each kilobyte send or receive. WNEWS 3.0
is about 120 k, add test news, headers, about 130 k at all. 130 * 30 cents is
$ 39.
Everybody in Germany who wants to get WNEWS mailed from this server also
needs this $ 39 + $ 1 for the mail to this server. Forget that !
TASS - all the mails I got and the answer now cost me about $ 45. But I
don't worry about the money, I just think about the people who have not ftp,
who can't poll sources in the States. News is the cheapest way to get sources
here in germany and I think also in whole Europe.
I know two nice guys who will ftp sources for me. I have the sources I need,
I can get the sources I need. But I also think about all the other ones.

Sorry, don't want to talk about this stuff any more, angry mail is bad mail.

All those lucky guys who can ftp sources:

WNEWS 3.0 should be available at plains.nodak.edu.
unbatch and sendbatch are difficult to port. But that's not my problem,
I got it working.

Joachim

BTW: Don't send me mails about this, do a followup. All mails I receive
a discussion and we need it in comp.os.coherent-

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.205411.15316@jrix.radig.de> joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I once had the idea (article: Posting sources - experiences and thoughts)
>that the posting of sources should be announced early so the posting can
>be prevented. I announced WNEWS 3.0 and now got one of these mails.
>
>--- Name of sender intentionally left blank  -  Fire Department J.R. ---
>
>First of all, I appreciate your porting efforts.  They're useful.
>
>However, I don't think that you should post the sources.  Here's why:
>You should be able to use a Mail server to access an ftp site.  I am
>enclosing another message (that was posted to comp.os.coherent) about
>how to do this.
>
>I would suggest that you find someone whom you could mail your posts to, and
>then  have this person ftp them to an ftp site.  I'd offer to do it, but I
>am a student, and not always around-- hence, I might lose your mail, or
>something along those lines.
>
>Again, thanks for your porting efforts.

>Here was a forwarded message appended (Hans van Oostrom wrote in an
>article how to get mail from a mail server, but he didn't send the above
>mail, he was the first one that sent me a positive mail after posting TASS.)
>
>Here for all people in the USA:
>
>In Germany mail costs 30 cents for each kilobyte send or receive. WNEWS 3.0
>is about 120 k, add test news, headers, about 130 k at all. 130 * 30 cents is
>$ 39.
>Everybody in Germany who wants to get WNEWS mailed from this server also
>needs this $ 39 + $ 1 for the mail to this server. Forget that !
>TASS - all the mails I got and the answer now cost me about $ 45. But I
>don't worry about the money, I just think about the people who have not ftp,
>who can't poll sources in the States. News is the cheapest way to get sources
>here in germany and I think also in whole Europe.
>I know two nice guys who will ftp sources for me. I have the sources I need,
>I can get the sources I need. But I also think about all the other ones.
>
>Sorry, don't want to talk about this stuff any more, angry mail is bad mail.
>
>All those lucky guys who can ftp sources:
>
>WNEWS 3.0 should be available at plains.nodak.edu.
>unbatch and sendbatch are difficult to port. But that's not my problem,
>I got it working.
>
>Joachim
>
>BTW: Don't send me mails about this, do a followup. All mails I receive
>a discussion and we need it in comp.os.coherent-

I believe that we should post sources here.  If the volume starts to get out
of hand, then we should lobby for a comp.sources.coherent group.  I do not
want to wade through comp.os.minix, nor do I want to rely on ftp by mail.
Sources aren't so bad if they are broken up into reasonable size shar files.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

peters@beltrix.UUCP (Peter Sleggs) (04/25/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I once had the idea (article: Posting sources - experiences and thoughts)
> that the posting of sources should be announced early so the posting can
> be prevented. I announced WNEWS 3.0 and now got one of these mails.
>
> --- Name of sender intentionally left blank  -  Fire Department J.R. ---
>
> First of all, I appreciate your porting efforts.  They're useful.
>
> However, I don't think that you should post the sources.  Here's why:
> You should be able to use a Mail server to access an ftp site.  I am
> enclosing another message (that was posted to comp.os.coherent) about
> how to do this.

As a leaf node I have problems with mail servers --- My upstream sites
who are kind enough to feed me mail will not permit any regular use of these
services, as they have been abused by indeviduals recently. The restriction
is placed on them by the sites who pay the costs to get the mail from
across the border in the USA.

sources posted dont seem to bother them at all (so far)
SO.... POST THEM.

peter

{blister|torag|skypod}!beltrix!peters   or peters@torag.uucp
OR as a last resort lsuc!canrem!peter.sleggs