[comp.os.coherent] Large amount of INODES - had problems

akar@mhm.UUCP (AkarBega) (04/25/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ls the directory, ls coredumped. Maybe they never thought
> that a silly guy could try to have more than 1000 Files in one directory.
> The problem I had was that rm * never stopped. There seemed to be a
> recursive file structure and so rm couldn't finish
> I now solved the problem with  ls -i junk (to find out the inode) and
> clri this inode.
> I now have no idea if it is a problem in WNEWS or a problem of Coherent.
> I saw no error in inews, the file that puts the articles into the direc-
> tories. It opens article-files, write them, close them.
> Has anyone outthere who runs a News - System on Coherent had such
> problems (News seems to be the only usage where such large amounts of
> files may occur) ?

	Have you ever try to chmod 444 on /usr/man/COHERENT? If yes, may be
you can see the same problem as yours. I've this problem when I'm lazy enuff
to put a new man pages to other directory and just put them in /usr/man/
COHERENT and just chmod 444 /usr/man/COHERENT... and I stuck and the only
way I can continue was to reboot my system..!!

	I've run WNEWS for couple of days on my system and never got any
experience as yours, I think it is COHERENT.

> Thanks
> Joachim

	-mid-

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/25/91)

Hi,

When I tested WNEWS I fed it with about 1 MB News each day. Now I tried
2.5 MB but had only about 50 groups in the active-file. So the junk-
directory filled up with about 1200 Files. The directory-file junk
was afterwards about 19 KB large.
I wanted to ls the directory, ls coredumped. Maybe they never thought
that a silly guy could try to have more than 1000 Files in one directory.
The problem I had was that rm * never stopped. There seemed to be a
recursive file structure and so rm couldn't finish
I now solved the problem with  ls -i junk (to find out the inode) and
clri this inode.
I now have no idea if it is a problem in WNEWS or a problem of Coherent.
I saw no error in inews, the file that puts the articles into the direc-
tories. It opens article-files, write them, close them.
Has anyone outthere who runs a News - System on Coherent had such
problems (News seems to be the only usage where such large amounts of
files may occur) ?

Thanks

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

news@jrix.radig.de (News) (04/26/91)

akar@mhm.UUCP (AkarBega) writes:

>joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:
>> Has anyone outthere who runs a News - System on Coherent had such
>> problems (News seems to be the only usage where such large amounts of
>> files may occur) ?

>	Have you ever try to chmod 444 on /usr/man/COHERENT? If yes, may be
>you can see the same problem as yours. I've this problem when I'm lazy enuff
>to put a new man pages to other directory and just put them in /usr/man/
>COHERENT and just chmod 444 /usr/man/COHERENT... and I stuck and the only
>way I can continue was to reboot my system..!!

I also got sometimes the error message:  (11,1) Inode ???? busy
In the manual you found the hint that you should contact your hardware retailer
if such error occurs. I think the only problem is that Coherent is too slow
for a 386/33 Micronics with a Rodime 110MB Harddisk with Interleave 1:1.
Should reformat it with Interleave 2 or 3.

Joachim

BTW: Did the hints help to get WNEWS posting ?