[comp.os.coherent] comp.sources.small-unix?

In article <694@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
> Now, I am on record as preferring a common sources group for small unixoid
> OSes - especially Version 7-flavored OSes.  This greatly enlarges the pool
> of developers of useful applications, and also provides a place for people
> who don't even have their own support group to post.

Perhaps a balance could be struck here between people who want their
traditional channels of information to remain intact, the people who want
to snarf code, and so on. A common small-unix sources group.

I like it.

What sort of name would be appropriate?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/26/91)

In article <.PYASIC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <694@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>Perhaps a balance could be struck here between people who want their
>traditional channels of information to remain intact, the people who want
>to snarf code, and so on. A common small-unix sources group.

I bet it won't work.  MINIX is currently in a funny state, somewhere
part way between V7 and P1003.1.  Coherent is probably in a difference
place.  I suspect that programs that work on one won't work on the other
so easily.

Also, the idea of comp.os.minix.code or whatever it may be called if it
passes will be mostly patches, not whole programs.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/26/91)

In article <.PYASIC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <694@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>> Now, I am on record as preferring a common sources group for small unixoid
>> OSes - especially Version 7-flavored OSes.  This greatly enlarges the pool
>> of developers of useful applications, and also provides a place for people
>> who don't even have their own support group to post.
>
>Perhaps a balance could be struck here between people who want their
>traditional channels of information to remain intact, the people who want
>to snarf code, and so on. A common small-unix sources group.
>
>I like it.
>
>What sort of name would be appropriate?

comp.sources.unix.small seems good to me.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

In article <9802@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <.PYASIC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Perhaps a balance could be struck here between people who want their
> >traditional channels of information to remain intact, the people who want
> >to snarf code, and so on. A common small-unix sources group.

> I bet it won't work.  MINIX is currently in a funny state, somewhere
> part way between V7 and P1003.1.  Coherent is probably in a difference
> place.  I suspect that programs that work on one won't work on the other
> so easily.

That's what porting is all about. But MINIX-PC and coherent have similar
limitations, and MINIX programs are mostly designed to run on MINIX-PC
as well as the 68000 MINIXes.

At least they're likely to be easier to port between than (say) Minix and
BSD.

> Also, the idea of comp.os.minix.code or whatever it may be called if it
> passes will be mostly patches, not whole programs.

Well, until I get some better info on the mailing list situation I'm not
starting the votes on a pure-minix sources group. It's pretty much in limbo.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/28/91)

In article <9802@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <.PYASIC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <694@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>>Perhaps a balance could be struck here between people who want their
>>traditional channels of information to remain intact, the people who want
>>to snarf code, and so on. A common small-unix sources group.
>
>I bet it won't work.  MINIX is currently in a funny state, somewhere
>part way between V7 and P1003.1.  Coherent is probably in a difference
>place.  I suspect that programs that work on one won't work on the other
>so easily.

Coherent is somewhere between V7 and SYSV.

>Also, the idea of comp.os.minix.code or whatever it may be called if it
>passes will be mostly patches, not whole programs.

My point exactly.  Most of the code that I have seen in comp.os.minix is
MINIX specific patches and fixes.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP