[comp.os.coherent] DOS waffle <-> Coherent uucico problems

jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) (04/16/91)

I'm having a problem when trying to use DOS waffle (v 1.63) uucico to
call to the MWC Coherent bbs.  I can connect to the MWC bbs (at 2400
bps) and log in, but it apparently does not recognize my system, so DOS
waffle times out.

I used waffle uucico debug level 5 to try to isolate the problem.  My
login proceeds normally.  My system responds to 'login:' prompt, the
'password:' prompt and the secondary 'password:' prompt from Coherent.
I get the waffle debug message 'Awaiting remote identification', I see
the 'Shere=mwcbbs' from Coherent, and get the waffle message 'Talking
to: mwcbbs'.  I see that waffle responds with 'Sbbsuser', but then I
see Coherent respond with 'Coherent login: '.  Eventually waffle
reports 'TIMEOUT, no ^P' and 'Timed out waiting for authorization'.
Then the session ends and waffle disconnects.

Several observations:

(a) I have no problems with DOS waffle uucico when calling sites
running Unix (osu-cis & nstar, my newsfeed).

(b) I'm told new Coherent uucico binaries were installed on the MWC
Coherent bbs about the beginning of April.  I could successfully
connect to the MWC bbs with DOS waffle until up to about April 1.

(c) When I run Coherent (v 3.1.0) and use its uucico to call the MWC
bbs, I have no problems in establishing contact and copying files.

I suspect it is a problem with the new Coherent uucico.  Last week I
contacted tech support at MWC, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Questions:

(a) Is anyone else trying to use DOS waffle to call the MWC Coherent
bbs?

(b) Were you able to connect and transfer files after April 1st?

(c) Is anyone aware of a quirk in the DOS waffle uucico that would
explain the inability to talk to a Coherent uucico?
---
Joseph Perry    Osceola, IN USA
Internet: jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com
UUCP: uunet!mailrus!iuvax!nstar!baugo!jep -or- jep@baugo.UUCP
---

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (04/17/91)

jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) writes:
> I used waffle uucico debug level 5 to try to isolate the problem.  My
> login proceeds normally.  My system responds to 'login:' prompt, the
> 'password:' prompt and the secondary 'password:' prompt from Coherent.
> I get the waffle debug message 'Awaiting remote identification', I see
> the 'Shere=mwcbbs' from Coherent, and get the waffle message 'Talking
> to: mwcbbs'.  I see that waffle responds with 'Sbbsuser', but then I
> see Coherent respond with 'Coherent login: '.  Eventually waffle
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is wrong. It looks as though Coherent uucico is falling over and the
system is going back to the login prompt.

> reports 'TIMEOUT, no ^P' and 'Timed out waiting for authorization'.

Yup. After getting "Shere=mwcbbs" and responding with "Sbbsuser", the next
thing should be protocol selection (Waffle sends Ug, Coherent sends Pg);
presumably Waffle has got past there if it's reporting "Talking to: mwcbbs".
The next thing is the first UUCP packet, which begins with DLE = ^P. No extra
login: prompt.

So it looks to me as though Coherent is broken.

> (a) I have no problems with DOS waffle uucico when calling sites
> running Unix (osu-cis & nstar, my newsfeed).
>
> (b) I'm told new Coherent uucico binaries were installed on the MWC
> Coherent bbs about the beginning of April.  I could successfully
> connect to the MWC bbs with DOS waffle until up to about April 1.

Supporting evidence for the "Coherent is broken" hypothesis.

mathew

--
If you're a John Foxx fan, please mail me!

jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) (04/20/91)

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:

> jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) writes:
> > I used waffle uucico debug level 5 to try to isolate the problem.  My
> > login proceeds normally.  My system responds to 'login:' prompt, the
> > 'password:' prompt and the secondary 'password:' prompt from Coherent.
> > I get the waffle debug message 'Awaiting remote identification', I see
> > the 'Shere=mwcbbs' from Coherent, and get the waffle message 'Talking
> > to: mwcbbs'.  I see that waffle responds with 'Sbbsuser', but then I
> > see Coherent respond with 'Coherent login: '.  Eventually waffle
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[stuff deleted]
> Yup. After getting "Shere=mwcbbs" and responding with "Sbbsuser", the next
> thing should be protocol selection (Waffle sends Ug, Coherent sends Pg);
> presumably Waffle has got past there if it's reporting "Talking to: mwcbbs".
> The next thing is the first UUCP packet, which begins with DLE = ^P. No extra
> login: prompt.
>
> So it looks to me as though Coherent is broken.
[stuff deleted]

Tech support at Mark Williams Co. got back to me and said their
programmers are looking into my bug report.  I'll post when I learn how
they resolve this.
---

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (04/24/91)

In article <w8oJ18w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
>jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) writes:
>> I used waffle uucico debug level 5 to try to isolate the problem.  My
>> login proceeds normally.  My system responds to 'login:' prompt, the
>> 'password:' prompt and the secondary 'password:' prompt from Coherent.
>> I get the waffle debug message 'Awaiting remote identification', I see
>> the 'Shere=mwcbbs' from Coherent, and get the waffle message 'Talking
>> to: mwcbbs'.  I see that waffle responds with 'Sbbsuser', but then I
>> see Coherent respond with 'Coherent login: '.  Eventually waffle
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This is wrong. It looks as though Coherent uucico is falling over and the
>system is going back to the login prompt.

You're right.  There may be something Joseph is not seeing, though.  Try using
debug level 9.  I had a similar problem between two systems that would only
show an incomplete connection.  Once I used debug level 9, I found that
Coherent couldn't write some log file.  Level 9 adds a lot of information that
you normally wouldn't see.

>> (b) I'm told new Coherent uucico binaries were installed on the MWC
>> Coherent bbs about the beginning of April.  I could successfully
>> connect to the MWC bbs with DOS waffle until up to about April 1.

Once you get more detail on the problem, be sure to drop a line to MWC somehow
to let them know of the problem.  They are still working on the uucp programs
to ensure a better performing utility.

shawn.

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --
--                                                                           --

jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) (04/27/91)

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) writes:

> In article <w8oJ18w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
> >jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) writes:
> >> I used waffle uucico debug level 5 to try to isolate the problem.  My
> >> login proceeds normally.  My system responds to 'login:' prompt, the
> >> 'password:' prompt and the secondary 'password:' prompt from Coherent.
> >> I get the waffle debug message 'Awaiting remote identification', I see
> >> the 'Shere=mwcbbs' from Coherent, and get the waffle message 'Talking
> >> to: mwcbbs'.  I see that waffle responds with 'Sbbsuser', but then I
> >> see Coherent respond with 'Coherent login: '.  Eventually waffle
> >      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >This is wrong. It looks as though Coherent uucico is falling over and the
> >system is going back to the login prompt.
> >
> You're right.  There may be something Joseph is not seeing, though.  Try usin
> debug level 9.  I had a similar problem between two systems that would only
> show an incomplete connection.  Once I used debug level 9, I found that
> Coherent couldn't write some log file.  Level 9 adds a lot of information tha
> you normally wouldn't see.

Today I tried debug level 9 to trace down the problem.  I got a lots of
output in my Waffle UUCP log because the uucico session worked!

It looks like the DOS Waffle to Coherent uucico problem is now fixed.
MWC has posted new Coherent UUCP binaries on mwcbbs as of today.

Note, the problem I had with DOS Waffle was only with the UUCP binaries
on mwcbbs as they were debugging new UUCP code.  I have no reason to
believe that DOS Waffle would have the same problem with the earlier
UUCPs for Coherent 3.0 or 3.1.  Anyway it looks like the uucico problem
is fixed with the new UUCP binaries on mwcbbs.
---

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (05/06/91)

In article <2ie211w163w@baugo.UUCP> jep%baugo@nstar.rn.com (Joseph Perry) writes:
>shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) writes:

>> You're right.  There may be something Joseph is not seeing, though.  Try usin
>> debug level 9.  I had a similar problem between two systems that would only
>> show an incomplete connection.  Once I used debug level 9, I found that
>> Coherent couldn't write some log file.  Level 9 adds a lot of information tha
>> you normally wouldn't see.
>
>Today I tried debug level 9 to trace down the problem.  I got a lots of
>output in my Waffle UUCP log because the uucico session worked!

That is one of the risks of running the debug level 9 :-).  Glad to hear its
working now.

Shawn.

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --
--      ...murphy!jpradley!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (hourly)                     --
--      uunet!sir-alan!admiral!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (weekly)                 --