[comp.os.coherent] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 8

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Alfred Peet) (05/06/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 8      Sun May  5 15:40:44 CDT 1991

Today's Topics:

   CoMB and terminal
   TERM variable
   .forward files
   386 COHERENT
   (none)
   TCP/IP For COHERENT
   mount

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

  [Allow me to DRAW YOUR ATTENTION to the articles from Doug at MWC, asking
   for input on the Coherent 386 design, and from Tim Daneliuk, asking who
   would be interested in TCP/IP for Coherent 3.x.  Truly auspicious events.

   Also, I wanted to relate my brief experiences with SCO Unix this weekend--
   I was helping a pal install a dialin on his new SCO-based business box.
   I guess I had realized that this product came without a C compiler, but
   somehow it had a lot more impact when I actually sat down at the console
   and realized that there was not path to adding functionality to his
   system that didn't involve writing a $700 check first.  Better small model
   than NO model, eh?  Just a thought... -Ed. ]

Date: 1 May 91 15:20:02
From: sdoucet@f1link.OCUnix.ON.Ca (Stephane Doucet)
To: coherent
Subject: CoMB and terminal

Hello again...since CoMB won't run very functionally (lowercase and
stuff from remote) could it be a bad TERMCAP file? I use vt100 as the
terminal type...everything looks fine except those beeping keys...
I've printed out the source and have started looking through it...

- -Stephane
(sdoucet@f1link.OCUnix.ON.Ca)

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 91 23:57:28
From: sdoucet@f1link.OCUnix.ON.Ca (Stephane Doucet)
To: coherent
Subject: TERM variable

Yeah...I know that it should be set right...before I didn't set it and
the whole screen was full of garbage when I used CoMB. Now it isn't...
but say I want to send mail from root to user 'sdoucet' well the s,d,u,
keys don't print at all on the screen...no response...I can use these
in uppercase though...but that doesn't make a difference since the
<ENTER> key doesn't work...it beeps and there ain't no shifted <ENTER>
key. :)

- -Stephane
(sdoucet@f1link.OCUnix.ON.Ca)

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 3 May 91 00:59:42 LCL
From: Coherent operating system <harlan!coherent%UUNET.UU.NET@KSUVM.KSU.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list COHERENT <COHERENT@INDYCMS>
Subject:      .forward files

     Has anyone used .forward files to automagically forward mail from one
mailbox to another in Coherent 3.1.0?  If so, could you describe how you
did it (including file ownerships and permissions)?  Thanks!

                                                               John Harlan

------------------------------

Date: 2 May 91 11:42:55
From: htrails!doug@uunet.UU.NET (Douglas Peterson)
To: maillist@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: 386 COHERENT

Please don't ask us when it may ship, because it is still in early
development and we honestly can't give a ship date.

What I would like to know however, is what you would like to see in the
product. Bend my e-mail ear.

What I can tell you so far about it is this;

It will support.....

VIRTUAL MEMORY
ANSI C COMPLIANT COMPILER
ABILITY TO RUN X-WINDOWS (X WILL NOT SHIP WITH THE PRODUCT)

It MAY support.....

ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE SUPPORT (COBOL, FORTRAN) BIG EMPHASIS ON "maybe"
NETWORKING (NFS OR TC/PIP???????)
VIRTUAL TERMINAL SUPPORT

Any and all input will be passed along to our development staff.

Thanks and please, don't call and bug us on 386 COHERENT, you'll get
written notification of its inpending release. (If you bought COHERENT
already, you are in our database regardless if you returned the
registration card.)

Thanks again.

                    ps. Happy Trails To You..... :)

------------------------------

Date: 2 May 91 15:47:09
From: htrails!doug@uunet.UU.NET (Douglas Peterson)
To: maillist@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: none

Subject: UUCP UUX from MWCBBS
If you have recently downloaded UUCICO and UUX from the Mark Williams
BBS, please trash 'em. They are bad, buggy and generally useless!.

Return to the UUCICO and UUX that is in your COHERENT distribution disks.

Thanks.

How's everbody doing out there anyway?????

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 91 12:23:20
From: gargoyle!eskimo.chi.il.us!clout!tundra ("Tundra" Tim Daneliuk)
To: coherent
Subject: TCP/IP For COHERENT

We are currently considering a port of the usual TCP/IP suite of
protocols to COHERENT.  You can help decide the fate of this
software by answering the following questions and mailing them
back to us:

1) How significant is your interest in TCP/IP for COH?
2) What services "above" TCP are most important (Telnet, FTP, rpc...)?
3) What media should we support first (Ethernet, Arcnet, Token Ring, FDDI...)?
4) What specific models and brands of adapter cards should be supported.
5) Anything else you'd like to say?
6) If you think you're qualified to be a beta tester when (if!) this
   project is ready, also include a brief bio/resume' which describes
   your networking background and interests.

  PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR RESPONSE HERE ON THE COHERENT MAILING LIST!

Respond to:                tundra-tcp@chi.il.us
                                  - OR -
              ...uunet!gargoyle.uchicago.edu!clout!eskimo!tundra-tcp

Be sure to include your name, day/eve phone numbers, and email return
address.

Thanks one and all...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 1:07:12 WET DST
From: hilander@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Marc Hiland)
To: coherent
Subject: mount

Hi
i am new to the coherent world
but can someone tell me how to
mount another device ...
i have 2 hard drives on my 286
both seagate 225's
i partitioned one to have coherent and dos
the other i did the same 1/2 for dos and 1/2 for coherent
problem is
i haven't uncompressed my man files because i had little room
so how would i go about mounting (terminology?) the 2nd partition
of my 2nd hard drive..
the 2nd partition of my 1st hard drive is already /root
thanks!

Marc

hilander@gnu.ai.mit.edu

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 8