[comp.os.coherent] Repost of GNEWS release 1.01 almost out beta testers sought

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (04/24/91)

I posted this article a few days ago. I have found that some news systems
(IBM Mainframes) were unable to handle GNEWS posts. oops. The bug has been
fixed, and if this is duplicated please ignore it.

Hi fellow neters, GNEWS version 1.01 is almost out. I am looking for
Beta testers.

GNEWS 1.00 was posted to mwcbbs, but they seem to have no way of knowing
who downloaded it (if anyone did).

For those who never heard of GNEWS it is a full feature news system.
GNEWS is written under Coherent and tested under Coherent.

GNEWS was written from scratch, but it is loosley based upon cnews. The
newsreader is loosley based upon the PSU VM/CMS news reader.

It is much smaller than cnews. It is also designed for the COHERENT evironment.
And I think it has a lot less bugs and a much better newsreader.

Improvments in release 1.01

mwcbbs posted it with binaries, but they are almost useless, as you need to
set some defines in a header file. It can be installed in about 10 minutes.
Except for creating the active file and few directories, the compiles and
installations are done with make.

POSTING, yes folks it will post news now. News can be posted in compressed
or uncompressed batches or mailed to a user (as a batch).

It will up and down feed., i.e. Postings will not be sent to a host that
has already seen them.

GNEWS will feed all or part of what is feed to it.

It supports moderated (remote and local) groups and lots of other features.

The newsreader was vastly improved: you are given a menu of groups, and when
in a group a menu of artices by poster and subject. When you look at an
article, you may follow it up, email a reply, print it, or post a new article
in the same group. you may also look forward or backward in the same group.

I am putting the finishing touches on it now.

I have been testing it with a daily feed of about 1 meg of news from a unix
system runing cnews.

GNEWS was released (including source code) to the public domain with the caveat
that it cannot be sold.

Unfortunately, the 512 news group limit still remains.

As I said before, I am looking for beta testers. Anyone interested?

I can be reached via:

internet:  geoffrey@mendelson.com
mwcbbs:    mailgsm!geoffrey
voice      (215) 242-8712

Comming soon to a Coherent system near you:

    Automatic retries for uucp. A gemoteric progression is used in calculating
the retry time (ala BNU (hdb uucp)).

P.s. this aricle was posted with GNEWS.

GNEWS is copyright (C) 1991 by Geoffrey S. Mendelson, all rights reserved.

------
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
geoffrey@mendelson.com
(215) 242-8712

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/26/91)

Sounds good what you wrote about GNEWS. Hope it will come soon.
I would like to test it but it seems to be impossible to get it to
Germany for less than $ 30 (EMAIL).
So I will wait until it appeared on one of the FTP-Sites to compare
what is the best - CNEWS - WNEWS - GNEWS.

Thanks for offering GNEWS to the Coherent Community

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (04/29/91)

In article <303113@mailgsm.mendelson.com> root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> For those who never heard of GNEWS it is a full feature news system.
> GNEWS is written under Coherent and tested under Coherent.

for those who have not heard, GNEWS is a news reader that runs under
the gnu emacs system.  gnews has been around for at least 2 years and
is very powerful and very stable.  i really dont think it is going
into another beta test phase.

> GNEWS was written from scratch, but it is loosley based upon cnews. The
> newsreader is loosley based upon the PSU VM/CMS news reader.

this doesnt sounds like the GNEWS that everyone else knows about.  you
should probably change the name.

> It is much smaller than cnews. It is also designed for the COHERENT evironment.
> And I think it has a lot less bugs and a much better newsreader.

cnews doesnt have a news reader.  cnews also isnt that large and it is
very bug free.  i am sure that henry spencer would like to know about
any bugs you have found in cnews.  unless, of course, you are talking
about a different cnews than what everyone else knows about.

> [ ... ]

-wayne

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (05/01/91)

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:

>In article <303113@mailgsm.mendelson.com> root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>

>> [ ... ]
>>
>> For those who never heard of GNEWS it is a full feature news system.
>> GNEWS is written under Coherent and tested under Coherent.

>for those who have not heard, GNEWS is a news reader that runs under
>the gnu emacs system.  gnews has been around for at least 2 years and
>is very powerful and very stable.  i really dont think it is going
>into another beta test phase.

I think Geoff just choosed a name maybe G(eoff)NEWS for a program he wrote
That he choosed by accident a still existing name of GNU-Software is no
problem. But there is still a difference in pronouncation between both
products. Try it that way: G-News    and  GNUS (see the hint from R. Stallman
how to pronounce it correctly)
Enough difference ?

>> It is much smaller than cnews. It is also designed for the COHERENT evironment.
>> And I think it has a lot less bugs and a much better newsreader.
>>

>cnews doesnt have a news reader.  cnews also isnt that large and it is
>very bug free.  i am sure that henry spencer would like to know about
>any bugs you have found in cnews.  unless, of course, you are talking
>about a different cnews than what everyone else knows about.

CNEWS has a small news reader in the package under directory RNA.
CNEWS is very bugfree, I use it here on my 386/ix without problems. But Geoff
is talking about the Coherent port of the CNEWS-Package.

Also: most people would like to have a news system that runs on small
      model (64 kb Code) Coherent

And:  Geoff offers his program to the Coherent community as Public Domain.

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May01.080630.14497@jrix.radig.de> joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

> wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
> >In article <303113@mailgsm.mendelson.com> root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
> >> For those who never heard of GNEWS it is a full feature news system.
> >> GNEWS is written under Coherent and tested under Coherent.
>
> >for those who have not heard, GNEWS is a news reader that runs under
> >the gnu emacs system.  [ ... ]
>
> I think Geoff just choosed a name maybe G(eoff)NEWS for a program he wrote
> That he choosed by accident a still existing name of GNU-Software is no
> problem. But there is still a difference in pronouncation between both
> products. Try it that way: G-News    and  GNUS (see the hint from R. Stallman
> how to pronounce it correctly)
> Enough difference ?

remember, there are at least 3 different news readers that work with
gnu emacs.  there is rnews, the original and primitive one, and the
newer and better ones, gnews and gnus.  i think gnus is more popular
than gnews, but they have both been around for several years.

> Also: most people would like to have a news system that runs on small
>       model (64 kb Code) Coherent

hmm...  i thought the folks that wrote cnews worked hard to get it to
run under the small model on the pdp-11 and xenix 286.  there may be
places that no longer fit, but i would imagine that any work that was
done to make cnews work under the 64k limit would probably be accepted
for the official cnews release.

-wayne

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (05/08/91)

>> Also: most people would like to have a news system that runs on small
>>       model (64 kb Code) Coherent
>
>hmm...  i thought the folks that wrote cnews worked hard to get it to
>run under the small model on the pdp-11 and xenix 286.  there may be
>places that no longer fit, but i would imagine that any work that was
>done to make cnews work under the 64k limit would probably be accepted
>for the official cnews release.

Cnews works quite well on Coherent.  Most of the changes made were for
incompatibilities here and there.  I have corresponded with Henry Spencer,
one of the authors of Cnews, and he feels that they do not want to put
OS dependencies into the Cnews release.  Cnews is written for an ideal
generic UNIX.  There are various things you have to fiddle with, depending
on which UNIX port you are trying to build it on.

Cnews for Coherent is a standalone package that is supported by Esa Ahola,
Rich Nickle, and myself.  All the functions of Cnews are there in the
package, and I have been using it without any problems since February.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP