[comp.os.coherent] Compiles: ORIGAMI - a folding editor not only for MINIX

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (05/09/91)

Hi,

several weeks ago there was ORIGAMI - a folding editor, in comp.os.minix.
I copied the files to my directory but still didn't try it.
Now I got at the point: what to do next and what are the files 4067, 4068
4101, 4102 4103 in my home directory for ?
So I extracted this editor, copied the files to my Coherent machine,
compiled them, fixstacked it and it works.

It's a small and nice editor, able to use lisp-like macros (GNU-Emacs
looks similar) and emacs-like keybinding. Most comments in comp.os.minix
were very positive. When the text is formatted for folding you see for
example in a C-program only the function names. When you want to edit
this function you "open the fold" that is the function code will be
visible/editable on the screen. After finishing editing you close the fold
and you only see the function name.
Interesting thing, especially for large files.
But I still didn't test all features, sorry. The largest file I edited
was 31 K.
ALSO: It immediately is able to use the cursor keys on Coherents ansi-console.
After keybind emacs.keys those ME-Freaks could use it as if they were on
their ME.

So anyone who has a copy or will "detect" a new copy in comp.os.minix
should try porting.
You need for porting:
an editor,
a bit knowledge about the function "access"
The most "difficult" work is deleting unknown include-files
(unistd.h, stdlib.h) and adding access.h wherever access is used.
replace  access(filename, W_OK|R_OK) by access(filename,AWRITE|AREAD)
or similar if only R_OK or W_OK is used. Or make a #define. How you like.

use fixstack for keybind and origami, otherwise the programs will coredump.
ORIGAMI is stripped (Honi soit qui mal y pense) about 47 K on Coherent,

Nevertheless I will uucp-ftp it to piggy End of May 1991. For now I want
to enjoy my holdidays. So comp.os.coherent has to live without me for
two weeks (No comments now ! )

Tschuess (the german version of ByeBye)

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (05/10/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

>But I still didn't test all features, sorry. The largest file I edited
>was 31 K.
Am wrong, sorry, 25 k or so is correct on Coherent.

>Nevertheless I will uucp-ftp it to piggy End of May 1991. For now I want
>to enjoy my holdidays.

Today a friend ftp'ed it to piggy.ucsb.edu, /pub/incoming. So all who have
ftp can try it.

Joachim