[comp.os.coherent] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 10

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (By Any Other Name) (05/18/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 10      Fri May 17 14:11:50 CDT 1991

Today's Topics:

   hard drive prob
   Drives and partitions
   Re: hard drive prob
   ok

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Mon, 13 May 91 1:22:37 WET DST
From: hilander@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Marc Hiland)
To: coherent
Subject: hard drive prob

> hi I am new to coherent
> my question is..
>i have 2 hard drives on my 286
> both seagate 225's
> i partitioned one to have coherent and dos
> the other i did the same 1/2 for dos and 1/2 for coherent
> problem is
> i haven't uncompressed my man files because i had little room
> so how would i go about mounting (terminology?) the 2nd partition
> of my 2nd hard drive..
> the 2nd partition of my 1st hard drive is already /root
> thanks!
>
> Marc
>
> hilander@gnu.ai.mit.edu

so nobody has any answers?

my 2nd partition of my second drive is empty
and i'm trying to get coherent to recognize it..
nobody at all knows how?
hmmm

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 91 13:26:41 EDT
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: Drives and partitions

Marc,
    Can't say that I know how either. I have a second hard drive that
I want to add to my Coherent system...I don't foresee your problems
since my system runs uniquely Coherent. Are your drives the same size?
If so why not have one for Coherent and one for DOS? Or would that not
let the DOS or Coherent partition boot? Dunno...

As for answers...this list is slow...

- -Stephane

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 91 15:37:10
From: dalek!bob@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Hemedinger)
To: mwc!hilander%gnu.ai.mit.edu.mwc!coherent@cs.wisc.edu.mwcbbs!digest
Subject: Re: hard drive prob

>>> hi I am new to coherent
>>> my question is..
>>>i have 2 hard drives on my 286
>>> both seagate 225's
>>> i partitioned one to have coherent and dos
>>> the other i did the same 1/2 for dos and 1/2 for coherent
>>> problem is
>>> i haven't uncompressed my man files because i had little room
>>> so how would i go about mounting (terminology?) the 2nd partition
>>> of my 2nd hard drive..
>>> the 2nd partition of my 1st hard drive is already /root
>>> thanks!

You mount a hard drive partition in th same manner as a floppy disk.
You must mount the partition to an EMPTY directory. In your case,
the 2nd partition on the second hard drive is named /dev/at1b, so
you would use:
		mount /dev/at1b /empty_directory

Anytime you reference the directory the partition was mounted to,
you will be accessing the information on that partition.

Before mounting the partition, be sure that you have used badscan and
mkfs to scan the partition for bad blocks and make an empty filesystem
on the partition if this was not done during your original installation.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 02:13:53 -0400
From: hilander@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Marc Hiland)
To: coherent
Subject: ok

i fdisked my 2nd partition on my 2nd hard drive
then i went to mount it..
oops
i went to badscan it..
iti typed
badscan at1b
and it didn't seem to work
i looked it up in the manuals and it didn't help

so then i tried to mount it..
it typed in
mount /dev/at1b hd2
and also /hd2 i tried
and i even made a hd2 dir..
but it said... badly formed file system

welp..maybe you gurus might know what i did wrong?

also doesn't du tell me how much space i have left?
             --

Marc

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 10