[comp.os.coherent] bnews/cnews available?

cyrus@virusdd.UUCP (Ulrich Cyrus) (05/14/91)

I am looking for a news-system being able to connect my Coherent to USENET.
TASS 3.2 should work with COHERENT, but this is only a newsreader.

Is any news-s/w available out there?

thanx, Ulrich Cyrus

Ulrich Cyrus	W-4000 Duesseldorf, FRG	+49-211-4370325  cyrus@virusdd.GUN.de

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (05/17/91)

In article <16@virusdd.UUCP> cyrus@virusdd.UUCP (Ulrich Cyrus) writes:
>I am looking for a news-system being able to connect my Coherent to USENET.
>TASS 3.2 should work with COHERENT, but this is only a newsreader.
>
>Is any news-s/w available out there?
>
>thanx, Ulrich Cyrus

>Ulrich Cyrus	W-4000 Duesseldorf, FRG	+49-211-4370325  cyrus@virusdd.GUN.de

Cnews is available for Coherent - albeit an older version that works
okay.  I've successfully compiled and tested cnews, but have not
yet gotten a feed.  An older version of rn is also available.
mwcbbs has Cnews - a 700+K tar file.  Since the original poster
was from Germany, it should be available on piggy, but I can't
access piggy (even though I live 1/2 mile from it!) just yet.
About Cnews and rn - just be prepared for LOTS of hard disk activity!

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA

don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) (05/18/91)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:

> Cnews is available for Coherent - albeit an older version that works
> okay.  I've successfully compiled and tested cnews, but have not
> yet gotten a feed.  An older version of rn is also available.
> mwcbbs has Cnews - a 700+K tar file.  Since the original poster
> was from Germany, it should be available on piggy, but I can't
> access piggy (even though I live 1/2 mile from it!) just yet.
> About Cnews and rn - just be prepared for LOTS of hard disk activity!

Hey, is anyone making this stuff available for those who don't have FTP
access?  Downloading Cnews from mwcbbs would cost me more than Coherent
did!

(I wonder if MWC have shares in the phone company?  8-)

Don Stokes, ZL2TNM  /  /                             don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (home)
Systems Programmer /GP/ GP PRINT LIMITED  Wellington,       don@gp.co.nz (work)
__________________/  / ----------------   New_Zealand__________________________

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (05/20/91)

In article <sN7322w163w@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz> don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) writes:
>nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:
>
>> Cnews is available for Coherent - albeit an older version that works
>> okay.  I've successfully compiled and tested cnews, but have not
>> yet gotten a feed.  An older version of rn is also available.
>> mwcbbs has Cnews - a 700+K tar file.  Since the original poster
>> was from Germany, it should be available on piggy, but I can't
>> access piggy (even though I live 1/2 mile from it!) just yet.
>> About Cnews and rn - just be prepared for LOTS of hard disk activity!

The current version of Cnews for Coherent was made from September 1990
sources.  I now have all the sources and patches to bring it up to the
most current patch date.  I have been waiting to see if there are any
problems, before I start hacking away.

>Hey, is anyone making this stuff available for those who don't have FTP
>access?  Downloading Cnews from mwcbbs would cost me more than Coherent
>did!
>
>(I wonder if MWC have shares in the phone company?  8-)

Try sending some email to rick@trystro.UUCP.  He can give you the current
stuff if you send him some floppies.

My source directories aren't really in good shape for tarring up and
compressing.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP