[comp.os.coherent] Time of Day

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) (05/21/91)

Is anyone else having trouble with time of day being wrong (off an
hour) recently?

I installed Coherent with the option to use daylight savings time
on Coherent (with the understanding that it would be off by an hour
under DOS while daylight savings time is in effect).

However, it is off by an hour in Coherent (3.1.0). The new time.h
didn't make a difference... If I manually correct it with the date
command, it is fine until I reboot. It may be my machine (Zenith
Supersport). Anyone else experience this?

Lori Pape
(lpape@ficc.ferranti.com)

tjauhiainen@cc.helsinki.fi (05/22/91)

In article <RMGBZZ7@xds7.ferranti.com>, lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) writes:
> Is anyone else having trouble with time of day being wrong (off an
> hour) recently?
>
> I installed Coherent with the option to use daylight savings time
> on Coherent (with the understanding that it would be off by an hour
> under DOS while daylight savings time is in effect).
>
> However, it is off by an hour in Coherent (3.1.0). The new time.h
> didn't make a difference... If I manually correct it with the date
> command, it is fine until I reboot. It may be my machine (Zenith
> Supersport). Anyone else experience this?
>
> Lori Pape
> (lpape@ficc.ferranti.com)

How is the time while in DOS? Or if you check setup, what is the time there?
--
Tommi Jauhiainen        | tjauhiainen@cc.helsinki.fi | Studying medicine since
Paraistentie 17 D 61    | tjauhiainen@finuh.bitnet   | -89 ... and still going

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) (05/23/91)

I think I've figured out how to "fix" time of day so it is correct.
I'm not sure this is the "RIGHT THING" to do, but it works; time
is correct in Coherent and in DOS when I boot the machine, and it
stays that way, even after reboot. (Watch this space in October, huh?).

Reading TIMEZONE in manual pages showed that my timezone seemed
to be correct (CST:360:CDT:1.1.4:-1.1.10:2:60); the released version
had only the first 4 fields here, I added the last three & it made
no difference.

In DOS, the time was correct, and /etc/ATclock showed this time
correctly, too.

It turns out that the /etc/brc and /etc/rc files (these are
executed when Coherent boots single-user and multi-user, respectively)
use something like the following to set the time:

         /bin/date -s '/etc/ATclock' >/dev/null

(where -s means suppress daylight savings time conversion when
setting the time, according to the manual).  I removed the -s from
each of these date commands, and everything is okay now.

Maybe some AT clocks don't automatically handle daylight savings time
change over (mine does), so they'd be off by an hour & Coherent would
adjust accordingly? Anyway, to those of you who echoed that you were
having the same problem, give this a try.

Lori Pape
lpape@ficc.ferranti.com

lpape@ficc.ferranti.com (Lori Pape) (05/24/91)

Hmm..  as a followup to my earlier "solution" of changing the
/etc/brc and the /etc/rc files to remove the "-s" option from
the date command so that time is correct..  well, there seems
to be a small side-effect..

NOW..  cron and update aren't running.  (If you put this "fix"
in, try a ps -alx to see if your cron and update are running).
I pulled up the old news I've saved away about Coherent and
found someone else with the problem where cron & update aren't
running, but their fix (to use "/etc/cron >/dev/console&" and
"/etc/update >/dev/console&") didn't fix mine.  Sigh.

So..  I put the "-s" back & used SETUP on the Supersport to set
the clock back an hour, so it really is off by an hour in DOS &
fine in Coherent, and I have cron & update running.

When I have more time to spend on this adventure, I'm gonna try
to figure out how to make  /etc/brc and /etc/rc do what I want.

Lori
lpape@ficc.ferranti.com