[comp.os.coherent] TASS and >large< news topics

root@citrus.uucp (Joel M. Baldwin) (05/25/91)

Long long ago, when TASS came across alt.sources ( or where ever it was )
I pull it off and got it running on coherent.

And I love it, execept for one thing.  I can't use it to read any of the
LARGE VOLUME topics.  It runs out of memory.  Example topics are
alt.sex and misc.forsale and rec.radio.amature.misc.

Has any one gotten either the original version or the one on mwcbbs to
run on these LARGE topics?

ADVthaAnksNCE

--
Joel M. Baldwin					H ( 916 ) 383-9470
N6NPL						W    "    452-1481

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (05/26/91)

root@citrus.uucp (Joel M. Baldwin) writes:
> Long long ago, when TASS came across alt.sources ( or where ever it was )
> I pull it off and got it running on coherent.

TASS 3.0 and TASS 3.2 were both in alt.sources.
TASS 3.0 can hold about 100 articles, TASS 3.2 now 300 articles per group

> And I love it, execept for one thing.  I can't use it to read any of the
> LARGE VOLUME topics.  It runs out of memory.  Example topics are
> alt.sex and misc.forsale and rec.radio.amature.misc.

Assure that you have TASS 3.2 (I posted it to piggy!). Choose the minimum
for fixstack ( 1000 for WNEWS 3.0, 1500 for GNEWS 1.01, ??? for CNEWS).
Don't use tass -u, that saves some bytes of memory. delete directory
.tindex (/TASS 3.0) or .tindx (TASS 3.2).
If TASS still errorexits with out of memory you should read faster and
use expire more often.
Rich SKrenta, the author, did a lot of work to convince TASS to use less
memory. But now seems to be the limit. Better wait for Coherent 386.

Joachim

|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |