[comp.os.coherent] corrupt tar files ?

pspeer@bluemoon.uucp (Pat Speer) (05/14/91)

Has anyone else had any problems with any of the tarred files on piggy? I
have had problems with some but not all (ie cnews, zoo, etc). Anyway I am
new to all this so here is what I "think" is happening. Tar begins
"undoing" the files and/or directories and seems to run into a bad command
causing it to sometimes just start firing text out to the screen or on one
file it created directories instaed of files ( that was real cute). Anyway
I ftp'd things correctly, no errors and they uncompressed or unzipped
fine, just won't untar correctly. Is this just me or does anyone have any
idea what is going on? THANKS!

Pat

 This is from
     pspeer@bluemoon.uucp
     pspeer%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (05/17/91)

In article <LLRw22w164w@bluemoon.uucp> pspeer@bluemoon.uucp (Pat Speer) writes:
>Has anyone else had any problems with any of the tarred files on piggy? I

Yah, I posted the same question about a month ago.  Some folks have been using
ustar and gnutar to tarify their files.  And for some reason they cannot be
un-tarrified by any of the regular tars (including those on SunOS 4.1.1,
Dynix, AIX...) So get the ustar from piggy and then un-tar the news and whatever
else you have that is un-readable.

I have not actually tried using the ustar to deal with this stuff yet since I
have been too busy with other stuff lately.

--John

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !

dfenyes@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (David Fenyes) (05/24/91)

[problems with tar]

Any modern tar will probably produce tars that will bomb Coherent tar.
The fault is /bin/tar's and not the GNU tar or ustar.  (Using GNU tar
with the -o option writes old-format tars for Coherent's /bin/tar).

The solution is to use ustar provided with Coherent, or GNU tar from piggy,
which is tarred with the -o option, to bootstrap you up to the
modern tar format :-)

David.

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (05/24/91)

In article <LLRw22w164w@bluemoon.uucp> pspeer@bluemoon.uucp (Pat Speer) writes:
>Has anyone else had any problems with any of the tarred files on piggy? I
>have had problems with some but not all (ie cnews, zoo, etc). Anyway I am
>new to all this so here is what I "think" is happening. Tar begins
>"undoing" the files and/or directories and seems to run into a bad command
>causing it to sometimes just start firing text out to the screen or on one
>file it created directories instaed of files ( that was real cute). Anyway
>I ftp'd things correctly, no errors and they uncompressed or unzipped
>fine, just won't untar correctly. Is this just me or does anyone have any
>idea what is going on? THANKS!

I have run into this on some tar files before.  Try using ustar instead of
Coherent's tar program.  If you're not familiar with ustar, look into the
compressed files in the '/usr/src/alien' directory.  The docs for pax, cpio,
and ustar reside in this directory.  I have loaded mine into the local man
directory so they're available with just 'man'.

Shawn.

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --
--      ...murphy!jpradley!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (hourly)                     --
--      uunet!sir-alan!admiral!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (weekly)                 --

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (05/27/91)

In article <5069@lib.tmc.edu> dfenyes@thesis1.med.uth.tmc.edu (David Fenyes) writes:
>[problems with tar]
>
>Any modern tar will probably produce tars that will bomb Coherent tar.
>The fault is /bin/tar's and not the GNU tar or ustar.  (Using GNU tar
>with the -o option writes old-format tars for Coherent's /bin/tar).
>
>The solution is to use ustar provided with Coherent, or GNU tar from piggy,
>which is tarred with the -o option, to bootstrap you up to the
>modern tar format :-)
>
>David.

On the story of tars that break Coherent's - do Coherent tar files break
more "modern" tars too?  I've found that "broken" tars will untar with
lots of "bad checksums", HOWEVER, the files generally look OK and if they
are compiled, the produce binaries with no troubles.  (From an Esix tar
to Coherent - bad checksums, but ok compile, from a Coherent tar to
an Esix machine - bad checksums, but ok compile.)  Anyone else
experience this behavior?

btw - ustar works just fine with NO bad checksums.

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA
Authorized Esix Resellers