[comp.os.coherent] Coherent questions

steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) (04/04/91)

Greetings one and all!  I was pleased to see this group pop up
when I opened RN...  I thought I might add some info that is
neither fully qualified nor something I have seen with mine own eyes,
but have been informed of (e.g., something more than a rumor):

A short while ago, I began posting for help in starting up a Usenet
node under Coherent.  I got lots of help, including a few phone calls
covering various enhancements that individuals are currently working on.
These include:  smail, Cnews, rn, and Elm.  There are several who have
some public directories on their machines and who have offered sources
to me.  I don't feel that I can divulge this info on my own, but I will
alert these individuals about this group.

There is one person who is actually running Cnews using Coherent with a
feed from a local company via Uucp...

Enough of that!

I wanted to ask some questions since I am a new Coherent user myself
(I haven't even registered with MWC yet):

I have installed Coherent on a 10Meg partition and have played around a little
(nothing too in-depth yet).  I am looking for some real-life feedback on
how much disk is required for a system (e.g., a user partition for
myself and maybe two others - primarily used for work related activity
(software development and archiving stuff)).  I realize this is an ambiguous
question, but what the heck!  I also will need another partition to store
the Usenet stuff for a few days, so I'll guess that this is another ~40Meg.

The other question I would like to ask is:  Are there other Coherent
groups on the way for things like binaries, sources, etc.?

Steve
--
.-------------------..-------------------------.
| Stephen C. Daukas ||  sdaukas@csd.harris.com |

rmk@frog.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/06/91)

In article <1057@hrshcx.csd.harris.com> steved@hrshcx.csd.harris.com (Steve Daukas) writes:

>Greetings one and all!  I was pleased to see this group pop up
>when I opened RN...  I thought I might add some info that is
>neither fully qualified nor something I have seen with mine own eyes,
>but have been informed of (e.g., something more than a rumor):

>A short while ago, I began posting for help in starting up a Usenet
>node under Coherent.  I got lots of help, including a few phone calls
>covering various enhancements that individuals are currently working on.
>These include:  smail, Cnews, rn, and Elm.  There are several who have
>some public directories on their machines and who have offered sources
>to me.  I don't feel that I can divulge this info on my own, but I will
>alert these individuals about this group.

I'm running smail, cnews, and rn.  These are or soon will be on MWC bbs.
Mail in your card and get registered.  Set up UUCP, and download the
news and contents files from MWC bbs.

To do this, RTFM.

>There is one person who is actually running Cnews using Coherent with a
>feed from a local company via Uucp...

There is probably two or three of us.

>Enough of that!

>I wanted to ask some questions since I am a new Coherent user myself
>(I haven't even registered with MWC yet):

Register.

>I have installed Coherent on a 10Meg partition and have played around a little
>(nothing too in-depth yet).  I am looking for some real-life feedback on
>how much disk is required for a system (e.g., a user partition for
>myself and maybe two others - primarily used for work related activity
>(software development and archiving stuff)).  I realize this is an ambiguous
>question, but what the heck!  I also will need another partition to store
>the Usenet stuff for a few days, so I'll guess that this is another ~40Meg.

At least.

>The other question I would like to ask is:  Are there other Coherent
>groups on the way for things like binaries, sources, etc.?

I hope so.

This is posted from frog, the Bnews site that I administrate.  I would have
posted from rmkhome (Coherent, Smail, Cnews, Rn), but I was logged in here
anyway, doing some maintenance.

Rick Kelly	rmk@frog.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP

kimmel@ganzer.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) (05/24/91)

I just bought Coherent 3.1.0 and I think it's the greatest thing ever.
Imagine, Unix for $100!  Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to access expanded memory from Coherent, a la EMM.SYS
   in DOS?  It's kind of demoralizing to see Coherent boot with 455K
   of memory free, when I have a megabyte of RAM.

2. Is there an improved version of the shared memory driver and
   corresponding lib functions that implements shmat() and shmdt()?
   ftok() would be nice too, although I guess I could hack that myself.

3. Is there any way at all to get around the 64K code segment limit?
   Does this new kernel that keeps being mentioned on this group solve
   the problem?

Any and all answers would be much appreciated...

-Matt

--
Matt Kimmel          University of Massachusetts          Amherst, Mass.

Internet: kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu              Bitnet: KIMMEL@UMAECS

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (05/27/91)

kimmel@ganzer.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:

>1. Is it possible to access expanded memory from Coherent, a la EMM.SYS
>   in DOS?  It's kind of demoralizing to see Coherent boot with 455K
>   of memory free, when I have a megabyte of RAM.

I use a PC (Laptop Victor 286P) with 1 MB RAM and Coherent tells me
at boot time that  839 K is available for COherent.
There are two possibilities:  YOu have an old AT-Board, 512k/512K or
set the wrong DIP-switches on your board.
YOu need no driver for expanded or extended memory.

>3. Is there any way at all to get around the 64K code segment limit?
>   Does this new kernel that keeps being mentioned on this group solve
Not possible, you have to wait for Coherent 386.

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May24.033415.23636@risky.ecs.umass.edu> kimmel@ganzer.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>I just bought Coherent 3.1.0 and I think it's the greatest thing ever.
>Imagine, Unix for $100!  Anyway, I have a couple of questions:
>
>1. Is it possible to access expanded memory from Coherent, a la EMM.SYS
>   in DOS?  It's kind of demoralizing to see Coherent boot with 455K
>   of memory free, when I have a megabyte of RAM.
>
>2. Is there an improved version of the shared memory driver and
>   corresponding lib functions that implements shmat() and shmdt()?
>   ftok() would be nice too, although I guess I could hack that myself.
>
>3. Is there any way at all to get around the 64K code segment limit?
>   Does this new kernel that keeps being mentioned on this group solve
>   the problem?
>
>Any and all answers would be much appreciated...
>
>-Matt
>

>--
>Matt Kimmel          University of Massachusetts          Amherst, Mass.
>
>Internet: kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu              Bitnet: KIMMEL@UMAECS

Coherent questions:

1. EXPanded memory is not accessible to Coherent.  EXTended memory is.
Notice when you boot, the kernel gives a message "protected mode: mem=
xxxK" - when my machine boots I get 4276K or so.  The kernel does
take some memory for itself!  Also, I have a 512K ramdisk and a 256K
ramdisk that eat some memory too.  Generally, the memory on your
motherboard is either real or EXTended memory.  Memory on an add-in
card for DOS is EXPanded memory.  Check your manual.

2. 2. I don't know about the shared memory semaphores and the like.  They
are compatible enough for me and do what I need them to do and I haven't
heard of any enhancements for them.

3.  The 64K+64K is hard-coded in the kernel memory management routines
and the "p3" release kernel does not solve that problem.  So far, I haven't
run into the problem yet, even in my initial compile of tcp/ip (it
still won't link and still doesn't have any ethernet driver support,
though).  Look into accessing a large ramdisk - it's amazing what one
of those can do.

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara