[comp.os.coherent] Cohware - MWC assumes you have fixed libraries !

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (06/08/91)

Hi,

when I was in holidays my friend got the mail from MWC about Cohware.
He read the advertising and ordered Cohware.
So he got the stuff and found out that he already had 50 Percent of it,
software I already gave him, ftp'ed from piggy.
But that's just another thing.

The main problem he has with Cohware:

There are several programs that work only with the fixed libcurses.a
Normally you receive it only from MWCBBS. Someone also ftp'ed it to
piggy.ucsb.edu.
If you live here in Europe or in other countries or still to far from
MWCBBS it is unaffordable to use MWCBBS. Most people here also can't
ftp.
So if you bought Cohware you should ask MWC for the fixed libraries you
need for compiling Cohware-stuff.

Joachim

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (06/10/91)

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) writes:

>The main problem he has with Cohware:
>
>There are several programs that work only with the fixed libcurses.a
>Normally you receive it only from MWCBBS. Someone also ftp'ed it to
>piggy.ucsb.edu.
>If you live here in Europe or in other countries or still to far from
>MWCBBS it is unaffordable to use MWCBBS. Most people here also can't
>ftp.
>So if you bought Cohware you should ask MWC for the fixed libraries you
>need for compiling Cohware-stuff.

No, no, no!

You don't need to ask for the fixed libraries.

They are going to sell them to you.

Coherent 3.2.0 has been announced.

For those of you that lack mwcbbs access, I am enclosing a copy of the
news file from mwcbbs announcing Coherent 3.2.0.

-------------------Reprint of Mark Williams Annoucement ------------------

NEW VERSION COHERENT 3.2

Look for news in roughly 4 weeks regarding COHERENT version 3.2 updates.
The new version will sport a KORN SHELL, SMART MAILER, POSTSCRIPT support
for HP Laserjets, which, whereis, more, limited FOREIGN KEYBOARD SUPPORT,
and of course, several bug fixes and enhancements to current utilities, many
of which are already available on mwcbbs.

Please do not call regarding the update until we have posted more information,
which will be available as soon as we work out more details. Until then,
we won't be able to give out any more information than what you see here.

This is NOT the 386 version most of you are eagerly awaiting.

If you have not noticed by now, I think Joachim is right.

P.s. What about the fixed libc.a, the new header files, new awk, etc.? There
     should be a cheap (circa $5.00 US., $8 Outside U.S.) upgrade disk with all
	 this stuff on it.

P.P.S. If the quality of the "enhancements" is as good as the stuff on MWCBBS,
       I will buy the disks, but I will not be installing most of it.

	   Why you ask? I have spent many hours debugging such simple things as
	   smail. I have also enhanced it to avoid problems caused by Coherent's
	   "dumb" mail. I don't want a new set of bugs, thank you very much.
------
Copyright (C) 1991, Geoffrey S. Mendelson.              All Rights Reserved.
Except for usenet followups, may not be reproduced without permsission.
|                   |  Computer Software Consulting    |                   |
Geoffrey S. Mendelson           I've written and debugged almost eight thousand
geoffrey@mendelson.com          LINES of C code under Coherent in the last two
mwcbbs!mailgsm!geoffrey         months.  :-)
(215) 242-8712                  And my wife still speaks to me!

hamid@uop.uop.edu (Mohd H Misnan) (06/12/91)

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>NEW VERSION COHERENT 3.2

>Look for news in roughly 4 weeks regarding COHERENT version 3.2 updates.
>The new version will sport a KORN SHELL, SMART MAILER, POSTSCRIPT support
>for HP Laserjets, which, whereis, more, limited FOREIGN KEYBOARD SUPPORT,
>and of course, several bug fixes and enhancements to current utilities, many
>of which are already available on mwcbbs.

	Is that it? No major revision? SMART MAILER? Is it smail 2.5? (I
	think so). KORN SHELL, great... but if many of the utilities have
	been in mwcbbs, is it worth to upgrade to Coherent 3.2 (if it is
	free, I'll take it ;)?

>This is NOT the 386 version most of you are eagerly awaiting.

	Ugghhh.... !!!

--
| Mohd H Misnan           | INET: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu           |