[comp.os.coherent] tetris and posting sources

gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (06/03/91)

This is an explanation, not a flame, so please don't be insulted. :-)

kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) said:

>I just assumed it wasn't cool to post sources here, since I'd never seen
>any.  But, maybe I was wrong, so I'll give it a shot.

No, you were right. Posting source files to this group causes problems for
those of us who pay for our news distribution. Since 50k is the equivalent of
SEVERAL WEEKS traffic in c.o.c, posting source files will cause many of us
to have to drop this group.

I am in the U.S. and use UUNET as my feed. I pay about one cent a k-bytes, but
my news feed (which is a small one) still costs me over a hundered dollars a
month.

There are some people on this group (Joachim for example) who have to pay
government owned telephone companies ridiculous (to us) rates for data
telephone service. I think he pays close to a dollar a k-byte.

Tetris is a nice game, it may be worth the 50 cents I paid to get it. BUT IT
IS NOT WORTH $50.00 or even $5.00. Escpecially since it was not asked for.

So please don't post sources here. If you want files from  a different country
make a personal arangment to email it or (heaven forbid) air-mail a diskette.

You can send 1.2 megabytes of compressed (almost 2 megabytes) of data on one
diskette for about $3.00 (including diskette). And it gets there in a week.

MEA CULPA. I have posted large files to this group too. I am speaking from
experience. :-)

>Here is a shar of my port of Tetris, the popular falling-blocks game.
>Enjoy, and please send me any questions/comments...

I also have some complaints about how the file was sent:

     1. It is too big to be edited with the STANDARD COHERENT EDITOR "me".

     2. The STANDARD COHERENT MAKE "make" will not make it.

If you are going to post something, please make it usable by everyone.

And BTW, TETRIS, in any form, is not public domain. It is a copyrighted
program. This program duplicates the "look and feel" of the copyrighted
program. Also TETRIS is a registered trademark of AcademySoft-ELORG.

Several people have gotten in trouble for having TETRIS clones on
their bbs's.

------
Copyright (C) 1991, Geoffrey S. Mendelson.              All Rights Reserved.
Except for usenet followups, may not be reproduced without permsission.
|                   |  Computer Software Consulting    |                   |
Geoffrey S. Mendelson           I've written and debugged almost eight thousand
geoffrey@mendelson.com          LINES of C code under Coherent in the last two
mwcbbs!mailgsm!geoffrey         months.  :-)
(215) 242-8712                  And my wife still speaks to me!

kimmel@risky.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) (06/04/91)

In article <15479153@mailgsm.mendelson.com> gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>This is an explanation, not a flame, so please don't be insulted. :-)

[stuff about posting sources deleted]

Points taken, although other people (including Joachim) have disagreed
with you.  Would it be better to post Coherent sources on, say,
alt.sources or comp.sources.misc?

>>Here is a shar of my port of Tetris, the popular falling-blocks game.
>>Enjoy, and please send me any questions/comments...
>
>I also have some complaints about how the file was sent:
>
>     1. It is too big to be edited with the STANDARD COHERENT EDITOR "me".

Do you mean the shar file?  I don't really see any other way to post
multiple files.  If you had trouble unsharring it, try getting the
latest version of sh from mwcbbs, or cshar from piggy.  If you mean one
of the source files, I edited them all with no problem using elvis.

>     2. The STANDARD COHERENT MAKE "make" will not make it.

It did on my machine--I used the "make" provided with Coherent 3.1.0.

--
Matt Kimmel          University of Massachusetts          Amherst, Mass.

Internet: kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu              Bitnet: KIMMEL@UMAECS

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (06/04/91)

gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>I am in the U.S. and use UUNET as my feed. I pay about one cent a k-bytes, but
>my news feed (which is a small one) still costs me over a hundered dollars a
>month.

In Germany I now pay about $ 10 a month for a connection to a news feed.
How much news I receive is my own problem and I only pay the standard
telephone costs I also would have if I would talk too much.

>There are some people on this group (Joachim for example) who have to pay
>government owned telephone companies ridiculous (to us) rates for data
>telephone service. I think he pays close to a dollar a k-byte.
it's 30 cents a kilobyte but only for mail !! All foreign mail that passes
the german backbone UNIDO costs that much but not news !!

So (only speaking for me) I don't worry about 10 Megabytes of news,
I only worry about 10 k of mail from the US.
(10 MB news is $ 1 , 10 kilobyte mail is $ 3)

One disadvantage of this group is that most of the stuff is forwarded to
the Coherent mailing list and there most people have to pay for the mail.
(That is one of the reasons I accept not to post sources here)
Therefore I will never want to be a member of the mailing list. It will
make me poor. News are just some seconds more with my Traily.

But it is difficult to decide what to do.
Most non-american Readers of this group do like sources posted to this
group (especially KIWI-Country (New Zealand) and Germany).
You can't satisfy everyone.

>     2. The STANDARD COHERENT MAKE "make" will not make it.
I have the standard buggy make of CO 3.1.0 and it worked without
problems. Unshared it, make'd it and played for half an hour.
Maybe there is a new bug in the make-update. Thinking about
the mail from the mailing-list...  we found a new bug in the
update release of ...... There were several such things mentioned
by Douglas Peterson of MWC.

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) (06/04/91)

In <15479153@mailgsm.mendelson.com> gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) said:

>>I just assumed it wasn't cool to post sources here, since I'd never seen
>>any.  But, maybe I was wrong, so I'll give it a shot.

>No, you were right. Posting source files to this group causes problems for
>those of us who pay for our news distribution. Since 50k is the equivalent of
>SEVERAL WEEKS traffic in c.o.c, posting source files will cause many of us
>to have to drop this group.
>
>I am in the U.S. and use UUNET as my feed. I pay about one cent a k-bytes, but
>my news feed (which is a small one) still costs me over a hundered dollars a
>month.
>
>There are some people on this group (Joachim for example) who have to pay
>government owned telephone companies ridiculous (to us) rates for data
>telephone service. I think he pays close to a dollar a k-byte.
>
>So please don't post sources here. If you want files from  a different country
>make a personal arangment to email it or (heaven forbid) air-mail a diskette.

What about those of us who DON'T have to pay for connections?  Would it be
all that bad to create a new newsgroup for sources and binaries?  I hear
half of you bitching about sources posted here, and the other half says
``do it!'' and be creating a new group we would make MOST of both groups
happy!

And E-mail is no solution.  People along the way may still have to pay for
it.

>You can send 1.2 megabytes of compressed (almost 2 megabytes) of data on one
>diskette for about $3.00 (including diskette). And it gets there in a week.

Mail would work, but why?  I would not want to send fifteen copies out to
people at $3.00 each, and if I make them pay for it I have to wait for the
cash to get here first.  Add that to the week delay.

[stuff about Tetris being a trademark and copyright deleted.  It is true.]

--

josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) (06/05/91)

In <1991Jun3.210518.1923@risky.ecs.umass.edu> kimmel@risky.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:

>Points taken, although other people (including Joachim) have disagreed
>with you.  Would it be better to post Coherent sources on, say,
>alt.sources or comp.sources.misc?

How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?

Any takers?

It'd get my vote.
--
 Joshua_Putnam@happym.wa.com   Happy Man Corp.   206/463-9399 x102
 4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399  fax x108

mike@array.UUCP (Mike Willett) (06/06/91)

> Points taken, although other people (including Joachim) have disagreed
> with you.  Would it be better to post Coherent sources on, say,
> alt.sources or comp.sources.misc?

	The discussion keeps going "to post or not to post"...

	I think the issues are well taken, and that we should try to
	work to the abilities of the c.os.c readers.  After reading
	this group since its conception, I would summarize **some** of
	the readership as having small disk space, low speed modems,
	paying for bytes from their feeder site.  I would expect a lot
	of them not to have access to a larger *nix system capable of
	archvival or temporary free storage of large sources.

	These are all  genuine concerns about paying for large amounts
	of data they may not want, in whatever form.

	So I would like to see the discussion move towards alternatives
	to get the data to people that want it, without having to sift
	through major volumes of sources found in other groups.

	Perhaps we should look at alternate vehicles of distribution, such
	as a "sources only" mailing list, or an archive server similar to
	that of clarkson.edu, or of course, a comp.sources.coherent group.

	I would be willing to concider doing a mailing list if the interest
	is there. Please offer other alternatives to what I have talked
	about above. What other methods that could work for all users?

	--Mike
--
Michael Willett, mike@array.com    uupsi!monarch!mike   uunet!csn!monarch!mike
Array Microsystems, 1420 Quail Lake Loop, Colrado Springs, CO 80906 719 540 7952

albani@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Lanfranco Albani) (06/07/91)

josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:

>How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?

>It'd get my vote.

And mine, too.

Bye, Lanfranco

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

--
Lanfranco Albani - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) albani@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) bob@allan.sublink.org

lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) (06/08/91)

Let's not rehash this every couple of weeks.  It is the standard form
for small
OS groups to post sources to the newsgroup, UUNET users notwithstanding.

I do not see adequate volume to justify the formation of a sources group for
Coherent at this time, but you are free to go through the RFD and CFV if you
believe in the matter sufficiently.

My opinion (for whatever it's worth as founder of comp.os.coherent) is that
we would be much better off with a sources group for "small Unix" - and
a number
of people have sent me email agreeing with that.  This would incorporate
sources
for Minix, Coherent, and other OSes of a similar nature that do not have their
own newsgroups, such as QNX.

I am not willing at this time to attend  to the work necessary to issue the
request for discussion and call for votes, and do the vote counting.  If you
are, all you have to do is have at it... (read the procedures for how to go
about it in news.groups).  I think Peter Da Silva may be willing to do this
very thing, but he is out of the country for a few weeks.

In any case, this being Usenet, the "controlled anarchy that works", you
need not be ashamed to post sources to this newsgroup.  On the other hand,
if you waste bandwidth posting stuff of no general interest, or that does
not work, or requires special software to extract, or whatever... a pox on you.

-lar

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  - E.B. White

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/08/91)

In article <3602@happym.WA.COM> josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:

>In <1991Jun3.210518.1923@risky.ecs.umass.edu> kimmel@risky.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>
>>Points taken, although other people (including Joachim) have disagreed
>>with you.  Would it be better to post Coherent sources on, say,
>>alt.sources or comp.sources.misc?
>
>How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?

Unless I'm missing something, the traffic here seems fairly low.  I get an
average of about three articles per day.  I don't see any reason not to post
sources here.

I wonder if WNEWS and GNEWS are creating headers that are not ecceptable to
the latest CNEWS.  Maybe traffic is really higher, but it is getting dropped
before it gets to my site.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/10/91)

In article <15479153@mailgsm.mendelson.com> gsm@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>This is an explanation, not a flame, so please don't be insulted. :-)
>
>kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) said:
>
>>I just assumed it wasn't cool to post sources here, since I'd never seen
>>any.  But, maybe I was wrong, so I'll give it a shot.
>
>No, you were right. Posting source files to this group causes problems for
>those of us who pay for our news distribution. Since 50k is the equivalent of
>SEVERAL WEEKS traffic in c.o.c, posting source files will cause many of us
>to have to drop this group.

Not posting sources causes problems for those of us who don't have $10000+
to set up an Internet site.  For me, piggy might as well be on the moon,
except under special circumstances.

>I am in the U.S. and use UUNET as my feed. I pay about one cent a k-bytes, but
>my news feed (which is a small one) still costs me over a hundered dollars a
>month.
>
>There are some people on this group (Joachim for example) who have to pay
>government owned telephone companies ridiculous (to us) rates for data
>telephone service. I think he pays close to a dollar a k-byte.
>
>Tetris is a nice game, it may be worth the 50 cents I paid to get it. BUT IT
>IS NOT WORTH $50.00 or even $5.00. Escpecially since it was not asked for.
>
>So please don't post sources here. If you want files from  a different country
>make a personal arangment to email it or (heaven forbid) air-mail a diskette.
>
>You can send 1.2 megabytes of compressed (almost 2 megabytes) of data on one
>diskette for about $3.00 (including diskette). And it gets there in a week.
>
>MEA CULPA. I have posted large files to this group too. I am speaking from
>experience. :-)

So you think that Coherent should be the only system/os on the net that
doesn't have sources posted?

>>Here is a shar of my port of Tetris, the popular falling-blocks game.
>>Enjoy, and please send me any questions/comments...
>
>I also have some complaints about how the file was sent:
>
>     1. It is too big to be edited with the STANDARD COHERENT EDITOR "me".

I cut of the header with vi (elvis), no big deal.

>     2. The STANDARD COHERENT MAKE "make" will not make it.

Make,

jochenw@rama.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Jochen Wolters) (06/11/91)

josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:

>How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?

>Any takers?

>It'd get my vote.

 Mine too. (Definitely!)

Greetinx,
          Jochen.

--
Jochen Wolters       |       jochenw@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
"Taniwha is waiting for me just below the surface so bright..."

miquels@htsa.htsa.aha.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) (06/11/91)

In article <9106071417.31@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <3602@happym.WA.COM> josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:
>>
>>In <1991Jun3.210518.1923@risky.ecs.umass.edu> kimmel@risky.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
> [ discussion deleted ]
>Unless I'm missing something, the traffic here seems fairly low.  I get an
>average of about three articles per day.  I don't see any reason not to post
>sources here.
>
>I wonder if WNEWS and GNEWS are creating headers that are not ecceptable to
>the latest CNEWS.  Maybe traffic is really higher, but it is getting dropped
>before it gets to my site.
>
>Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

You could be right there. I don't use Coherent, I use Minix. (At the moment
I use HP-UX :-( ). But there was a bug in the Wnews header routine. ZvIt
sometimes (always?) generates a "wrong" Date: field. C-News chokes on
this: it just throws the article away, without warning. You will never
know. If you want more information on this subject, I recommend someone
using Wnews with Coherent tries to post on comp.os.minix, asking for
comment on this (that is.. if he can get through, with wnews. Maybe you
can manually edit the Date: field before sending it through uucp?).
Ofcourse, you can always send Email to the author of wnews:
Fred van Kempen
waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org

Hope this helps,
	Miquel
--
---
%    Miquel van Smoorenburg, Baljuwstraat 20, 2461 SL Langeraar, Holland    %

lark@greylock.osf.org (Lar Kaufman) (06/11/91)

In article <900@cadlab.sublink.ORG>, albani@cadlab.sublink.ORG
(Lanfranco Albani) writes:
> josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:
>
> >How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?
>
> >It'd get my vote.
>
> And mine, too.

As I have previously indicated, all this is idle chitchat until someone
follows the procedures in news.groups to initiate a Request For Discussion
followed by a Call for Votes.  This is not a difficult process, but it is
a fair amount of work to be a votetaker.

In the meantime, I assure you that it is within the charter for this newsgroup
to post sources.  I quote from the Call For Votes:
  The purpose of the group is to discuss and support
  the Coherent operating system and related topics.

The words "and support" and "and related topics" cover the field pretty
broadly.

Let me suggest that to date, the discussion about whether or not it is
appropriate
to post sources has generated more traffic than has actual source postings.

I would love to be shown differently, but I know from following comp.os.minix
that there is not a sufficiency of source materials to be posted to justify a
comp.sources.coherent.  There MAY be enough volume to justify formation of
something like comp.sources.smallunix ...

Now all we need is a volunteer vote-taker.  However, I recommend patience,
this newsgroup is very young yet.

josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) (06/13/91)

In <9106071417.31@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>In article <3602@happym.WA.COM> josh@happym.WA.COM (Joshua_Putnam) writes:

>>How about comp.sources.coherent :-)?

>Unless I'm missing something, the traffic here seems fairly low.  I get an
>average of about three articles per day.  I don't see any reason not to post
>sources here.

I don't object to sources here either, sorry if I gave that
impression.

But if it turns out that other people object so strongly to sources in
this group that they are "ruled out," (though without a moderator I
don't know who would do the ruling), I think a comp.sources.coherent
group would be better than most of the other possibilities.

I also see only two or three posts a day here -- is there more volume
that gets dropped before it gets to me?