[comp.os.coherent] 3.2 released?

coherent@harlan.com (Coherent operating system project) (06/18/91)

     Has 3.2 been announced/released yet?  As a registered user of 3.1.0,
I haven't received any notification yet.  What features will 3.2 include?
How soon is 386 support due?  Is MWC thinking about 486 or > yet?

                                                                     John

--

 +                                                                      +
   Coherent            operating     system                     project

   Harlan                Network     coherent@harlan.com       Internet
   125 West Marion Street    529     harlan!coherent@uunet.uu.net
   South Bend Indiana 46601 1096                               Internet
   U             S             A     harlan!coherent               uucp
 +                                                                      +

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (06/18/91)

In article <285d71ee@harlan.com> Coherent operating system list <COHERENT@indycms.bitnet> writes:

>     Has 3.2 been announced/released yet?  As a registered user of 3.1.0,
>I haven't received any notification yet.  What features will 3.2 include?
>How soon is 386 support due?  Is MWC thinking about 486 or > yet?

  Does the list gateway both ways?   Anyway, when I ordered it last
week, as I mentioned yesterday, they said that they would be shipping it
next week (should be right now, and I'm calling them as soon as
they're open) because they were waiting for 3.2 to be out.
386 still not till end of year. 486 isn't really different from
386, just faster and more stuff on chip, but its mostly transparent
(although with Intel, you never know).

3.2 sounded like it had some minor changes. Nothing significant. Bug fixes.
I seem to recall a rewritten uucp.

BTW, is all of the stuff that they sell in the utilities package
available from piggy?

Re: Someone mentioning why 3 ports on Minix: Yes, I know that there's
2 serial ports normally. But there are many COM3 & 4 boards, and also
multi-port boards (for instance, I noticed that coherent supported
at least 1 8 port board). Is it a device driver limitation, or some
deep kernel limitation?

-Rob

--
"Suddenly the Earth Coincidence Control Office (ECCO) removed my
penis and handed it to me ... I shouted, "Who's in charge up there,

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (06/19/91)

coherent@harlan.com (Coherent operating system project) writes:

>      Has 3.2 been announced/released yet?  As a registered user of 3.1.0,
> I haven't received any notification yet.  What features will 3.2 include?
> How soon is 386 support due?  Is MWC thinking about 486 or > yet?

3.2 has been announced in their MWCBBS. It seems to be a 3.1.0 with
the bug fixes from MWCBBS, added a ksh (Korn Shell), a smart-mailer
(SMAIL 2.5 or their own, who knows) and some more utitilities.
It seems also be easier to use keyboards for foreign languages. They
told that german keyboard is supported.
Nevertheless when I read the news from MWCBBS about 3.2 they said they
will publish it in 4 weeks. That was 10 days ago. But when it really will
be sold, who knows.
But it seems to come because eMedia-Verlag, the german retailer, stopped
3.1 and told their customers that they will receive in 4 weeks 3.2.

386 support ?   No idea.

486 ?  Most 386 stuff runs on a 486, it's a bit faster and has a builtin
Coprocessor. So ensuring that COherent also works on that boards seems to
be enough.

Cu,

Joachim

+---------------------------------------+-------+-------------------+-------+
|    Joachim Riedel                     | @   @ |    Don't worry,   | @   @ |
|    Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48      |  \_/  |    keep smiling   |  \_/  |
|    Tel. +49 69 85 62 25               |       joachim@jrix.radig.de       |

mvore@wam.umd.edu (Michael Wood Vore) (06/19/91)

In article <285d71ee@harlan.com> Coherent operating system list <COHERENT@indycms.bitnet> writes:

>     Has 3.2 been announced/released yet?  As a registered user of 3.1.0,
>I haven't received any notification yet.  What features will 3.2 include?
>How soon is 386 support due?  Is MWC thinking about 486 or > yet?

I just ordered a copy and the person on the order phone said thatt
the new version would be out this week, and they'd hold my order or
for the new version.  Hope they really mean that!!!

 - mike