[comp.os.coherent] Tetris port for Coherent

kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) (06/02/91)

I've just "ported" a version of the popular game Tetris from System V to
Coherent.  I gather it's not cool to post sources here, so I've uploaded
it as tetris.tar to /pub/incoming on piggy, and sent a message to Jim,
so it should be up on piggy soon.  For those of you without ftp access,
just send me e-mail and I'll be happy to mail you a shar of the source.
I'll also be sending it to mwcbbs.

-Matt
--
Matt Kimmel          University of Massachusetts          Amherst, Mass.

Internet: kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu              Bitnet: KIMMEL@UMAECS

john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) (06/03/91)

Don Stokes <don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz> writes:

> kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>
> > Coherent.  I gather it's not cool to post sources here, so I've uploaded
>
> *why*?  Some of us can't get things if they're posted to piggy, or
> mwcbbs.  If it's not too big, either post or find a mail server to put
> it on.

I seem to recall someone posted instructions here on how to extract stuff
from an ftp site by mail a while back, BUT I agree with you Don, why *not* post
stuff here.  If it gets out of hand at some time in the future then that can
be dealt with.  In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.

cheers, John

 email: john@ahuriri.gen.nz
 phone: +64-3-665-234 hm +64-3-669-871 wk
   fax: +64-3-669-871
 snail: PO Box 2708, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (06/03/91)

john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) writes:

>....... In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
>that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.

Maybe percents are bigger down under? :-)  My lousy arithmetic says that
50k is 40% of 200k. :-)  As I see it that's almost half a months traffic.

By my arithmetic .04% is 5 bytes, 1 bit. If you can compress stuff down that
far, by all means post it. :-)
------
Copyright (C) 1991, Geoffrey S. Mendelson.              All Rights Reserved.
Except for usenet followups, may not be reproduced without permsission.
|                   |  Computer Software Consulting    |                   |
Geoffrey S. Mendelson           I've written and debugged almost eight thousand
geoffrey@mendelson.com          LINES of C code under Coherent in the last two
mwcbbs!mailgsm!geoffrey         months.  :-)
(215) 242-8712                  And my wife still speaks to me!

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun1.184820.15008@risky.ecs.umass.edu> kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>I've just "ported" a version of the popular game Tetris from System V to
>Coherent.  I gather it's not cool to post sources here, so I've uploaded
>it as tetris.tar to /pub/incoming on piggy, and sent a message to Jim,
>so it should be up on piggy soon.  For those of you without ftp access,
>just send me e-mail and I'll be happy to mail you a shar of the source.
>I'll also be sending it to mwcbbs.

There's no reason not to post it here, if you can break it up into <60k
chunks.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) (06/05/91)

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

> john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) writes:
>
> Maybe percents are bigger down under? :-)  My lousy arithmetic says that
> 50k is 40% of 200k. :-)

40%?  They told me everything was bigger in the USA :)  How about 25%?

> By my arithmetic .04% is 5 bytes, 1 bit. If you can compress stuff down that
> far, by all means post it. :-)

I was ambiguous - 200k out of 450MB total traffic.  Anyway didn't you know
bits pack better in the Southern Hemisphere.

Reading one of your other posts on this subject, I take your point about
the costs of some peoples transport mechanism.

The alternatives are less than ideal.  Piggy is inaccessible, mwcbbs is
expensive, bitftp@pucc.bitnet only works if you are on bitnet/EARN, and
posting in alt.sources etc means I have to trawl a whole lot of stuff I'm not
interested in.  Your suggestion about using disks/snail is ok, but it was
months ago that I asked mwc about getting some stuff on disk, and the
COHware disks just arrived this morning.

I hesitate to suggest a separate coherent sources group so soon after this
was last discussed, but it does seem like a better solution than some of the
above.  There seem to be two distinct groups of people on this question, and
this would keep everone happy.

cheers, John

BTW tetris make'd ok on my machine.

albani@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Lanfranco Albani) (06/07/91)

root@mailgsm.mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>>....... In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
>>that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.
>Maybe percents are bigger down under? :-)  My lousy arithmetic says that
>50k is 40% of 200k. :-)  As I see it that's almost half a months traffic.
>By my arithmetic .04% is 5 bytes, 1 bit. If you can compress stuff down that
>far, by all means post it. :-)

Sorry, you must re-read the original article.  It speak about TOTAL NET traffic,
not GROUP traffic.  Total Internet traffic is a bit more than 10 MEGABYTES per
day, about 320 MEGABYTES per month!
Who cares for A 50k post? :-)

OOTC: any news for a second MWC BBS's disks offer?
Italian costs for a my_home--->MWCbbs uucp call are outrageous... :-(

Bye, Lanfranco

#include <std.disclaimer.h>

--
Lanfranco Albani - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) albani@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) bob@allan.sublink.org

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/08/91)

In article <910603141@ahuriri.gen.nz> john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) writes:
>Don Stokes <don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz> writes:
>
>> kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>>
>> > Coherent.  I gather it's not cool to post sources here, so I've uploaded
>>
>> *why*?  Some of us can't get things if they're posted to piggy, or
>> mwcbbs.  If it's not too big, either post or find a mail server to put
>> it on.
>
>I seem to recall someone posted instructions here on how to extract stuff
>from an ftp site by mail a while back, BUT I agree with you Don, why *not* post
>stuff here.  If it gets out of hand at some time in the future then that can
>be dealt with.  In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
>that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.

And the BITFTP ftp by mail site is now closed down because too many people
were using it.  It was only meant for paying members of BITNET.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (06/19/91)

In article <910603141@ahuriri.gen.nz> john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) writes:
>Don Stokes <don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz> writes:
>
>> kimmel@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Mathew Kimmel) writes:
>>
>> > Coherent.  I gather it's not cool to post sources here, so I've uploaded
>>
>> *why*?  Some of us can't get things if they're posted to piggy, or
>> mwcbbs.  If it's not too big, either post or find a mail server to put
>> it on.
>
>I seem to recall someone posted instructions here on how to extract stuff
>from an ftp site by mail a while back, BUT I agree with you Don, why *not* post

You're right, someone did post instructions for getting ftp through uucp.  BUT,
I think you'll find it is not possible from many (or all?) locations due to
abuses.  If you're not following the 'BITFTP Grief' thread in the comp.mail
groups, you might want to join them for a short while.  Most ftp channels for
uucp sites have been turned off.

>stuff here.  If it gets out of hand at some time in the future then that can
>be dealt with.  In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
>that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.

I say post it! :)  Unless of course you're talking about cnews or gnu c :-O

Shawn

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --
--      ...murphy!jpradley!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (hourly)                     --
--      uunet!areyes!admiral!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (weekly)                   --

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.190041.27018@jpradley.jpr.com> shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) writes:
>In article <910603141@ahuriri.gen.nz> john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) writes:
>>Don Stokes <don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz> writes:
>>stuff here.  If it gets out of hand at some time in the future then that can
>>be dealt with.  In the mean time this group is running at about 200k/month,
>>that's less than 0.04% of the total net traffic - a little more wouldn't hurt.
>>
>I say post it! :)  Unless of course you're talking about cnews or gnu c :-O

We're not talking about net traffic. We're talking about people on
the other ends of slow modem feeds who pay for their connections, and
don't want to spend hours transferring things they didn't ask
for not to mention the money that they will be charged.

I seem to have seen this discussion before, anyway.

BTW, I just installed coherent. And for some reason, any time I use
a control character, the keyboard becomes unusable. It seems to stick
in control mode. I'm investigating it, but is this a known problem
that has a fix? It works fine until I backspace or ^C.

Also, is there a list of uucp feeds? I need one in New Jersey. I know
of some out of state ones, but don't want to pay long distance.
Free or reasonably priced. Thanks

-Rob

--

"How's Annie?  How's Annie? How's Annie! How's Annie!"
rlwald@phoenix.princeton.edu