Date: 17 Jun 91 11:56:47
Date: 14 Jun 91 11:02:24
From: doug@htrails.uhtrails (Douglas W. Petertson)
Subject: DOS 5.0 UPDATE VS COHERENT
To: IJBH200@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
To: list@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: tech.support.stevesf@uunet.UU.NET

Uh Oh!!

Seems the boys at Microsoft, arrogantly have done a no no with the DOS 5.0
update diskettes.

Installing the 5.0 update diskette trashes the Mark Williams and most likely
any other UNIX systems Master Boot.

Result, you can't boot up COHERENT and most likely any other PC based UNIX
system unless you alter the active operating system.

In a classic case of catch 22 though, Microsoft saves the old master boot
before trashing it with the DOS 5.0 master boot. If you uninstall DOS 5.0,
it restores the old MASTER Boot, but then you can't use DOS 5.0.

A call into Microsoft Technical Support recieved the reply....

'tough luck, that's the way it's gonna be.'

How's that for a healthy attitude from the Bill Gates Clan?

If anyone might be upset about this, I suggesty you pass the word to everyone
and tell them to call Microsoft and raise some #$%&.

                             ps. Happy Trails To You...
                                  pps. "I say, I say, that Dog has got to go!"
                                               - Foghorn  Leghorn -
mwc!support!htrails                          - Looney Tunes Cartoon -
                                                  - Circa 1960's -

bhenning@WIMSEY.BC.CA (Bill Henning) (06/18/91)

Somehow I am not surprised... good thing I caught this message before I
installed DOS 5.0 (I was going to run out and buy it tomorrow)...

While I am posting, I thought I would plead for help again, as I still have
had no luck in getting remote (modem) logins working. If anyone has a
 configuration
similar to that described below and has remote log ins working, please
reply! (some kind folks replied to this question a few months ago, but while
I tried all the suggestions, none worked)

386DX25 clone, 4Mb ram, TSENG4000 SVGA, WD RLL 1:1 controller, 2x65Mb hd,
1.2Mb+720kb floppy, internal Supra2400 modem

The computer does not seem to get the ringing indicator, at least it does
not pick up the phone. modeminit hangs in /etc/rc. Sigh... it would be nice
to get remote logins working. I suspect some modem weirdness... I will try
an external modem soon, but I need my external modem on my Amiga for my
newsfeed (at least until I get Coherent/386 with a fast 16 bit compress hint
 hint
hint) (by the way, the modem is on COM2, serial ports on COM1 and COM3, bus
 mouse)

Could MWC please post 3.2.0 upgrade information? Price, new features, etc?

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (06/18/91)

In article <COHERENT%91061721493864@INDYCMS.BITNET> Coherent operating system list <COHERENT@indycms.bitnet> writes:
>Installing the 5.0 update diskette trashes the Mark Williams and most likely
>any other UNIX systems Master Boot.
>
>Result, you can't boot up COHERENT and most likely any other PC based UNIX
>system unless you alter the active operating system.
>
>A call into Microsoft Technical Support recieved the reply....
>
>'tough luck, that's the way it's gonna be.'
>
>How's that for a healthy attitude from the Bill Gates Clan?
>
>If anyone might be upset about this, I suggesty you pass the word to everyone
>and tell them to call Microsoft and raise some #$%&.

  Why not just tell MicroSoft to go f*ck off, and buy DR DOS 5.0?

-Rob

--
"Suddenly the Earth Coincidence Control Office (ECCO) removed my
penis and handed it to me ... I shouted, "Who's in charge up there,

pfaffman@PILOT.NJIN.NET (Jay Pfaffman) (06/19/91)

I'm not where my Coherent machine is, but I'll reply at the risk of
not
being helpful.

I got remote logins working, I'll try to remember where the glitches
were.

It seems that I had a similar problem withthe modem not answering the
phone.  You need to make sure that you tell Coherent that it should
answer the phone.  As I recall, I did this by modifying /etc/ttys.
Look at the entry for the console and make com2's similar.

If you don't get it going, let me know and I'll check my system out
for you.

Jay

--
Jay Pfaffman
pfaffman@pilot.njin.net

john@ahuriri.gen.nz (John McCombs) (06/19/91)

bhenning@WIMSEY.BC.CA (Bill Henning) writes:

> While I am posting, I thought I would plead for help again, as I still have
> had no luck in getting remote (modem) logins working. If anyone has a
>  configuration
> similar to that described below and has remote log ins working, please

I have my system set up for remote logins. The config is vaguely similar to
yours. I recall I had some problem with getting coherent to recognize/generate
control signals.  I never really pursued this at the modem was internal - a
little tricky to attach a breakout box.

I have it working with an init string of AT E0 V0 &D0 S0=3, ie the modem
answers the phone and doesn't return much in the way of responses.
The &D0 makes the modem ignore DTR (from memory).  My conclusion at the
time was that coherent wasn't seeing the RI and never lifted the DTR.
The ttys entry is 1rLcom2r.

Hope this is of some help.

cheers, John

 email: john@ahuriri.gen.nz
 phone: +64-3-665-234 hm +64-3-669-871 wk
   fax: +64-3-669-871
 snail: PO Box 2708, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

carlb@polari.UUCP (Carl Bengtson) (06/21/91)

>>Installing the 5.0 update diskette trashes the Mark Williams and most likely
>>any other UNIX systems Master Boot.
>>
>>Result, you can't boot up COHERENT and most likely any other PC based UNIX
>>system unless you alter the active operating system.
>>
>>A call into Microsoft Technical Support recieved the reply....
>>
>>'tough luck, that's the way it's gonna be.'
>>
>>How's that for a healthy attitude from the Bill Gates Clan?
>>
>>If anyone might be upset about this, I suggesty you pass the word to everyone
>>and tell them to call Microsoft and raise some #$%&.
>

>-Rob

Well not to defend microsoft, but.....

The solution to this was rather simple, the problem being where to
locate the specific info in the coherent documentation.

Here's what mwc tech help had to say:

Install dos 5.0 and use fdisk (dos) to make cohernt the active boot
partition. Then reboot into coherent and use the fdisk with I believe
the -b switch and this rewrites the masterboot program on /dev/at0x,
also making dos 5.0 the default boot if you'd like. Look at fdisk in
the lexicon. This took all of 10 minutes since I never used the fdisk
command since loading coherent. Instead of expecting microsoft to
assume you have another system on your drive, you should calm down
and READ your manual or contact mwc. THEY were helpful and understanding.

carlb@polari.UUCP                           remeber my favorite OS is
                                             Coherent. Like the name says.

wolfie@WET.UUCP (Mike Hanna) (06/24/91)

As far as installing DOS 5, I carefully kept the partitioning control under
Coherent's care. I had originally set it up to boot with no active partition
and found I could not boot anything. However I had made a boot disk for
Coherent, and had just made one for DOS (I always do these things right
away), so I booted Coh from A: drive and made my Coh partition active, and
subsequently booted DOS from A: drive. Moral: Make copies and boot disks
immediately!!!!!
                                m.hanna