[comp.os.coherent] What to use for dialing out?/rn

ken@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Ken Walker) (06/24/91)

Greetings,
I've just purchased and installed version 3.0 from a friend.  Does the
newer versions have cu?  If not, what can I use to dial out?  I hate to
shut down Coherent, boot up Dos and use Telix all the time.  There must
be a Terminal emulator out there?
Thanks,
Ken
--
! Ken Walker, Computer Science        ! Transcript cr;show:                 !
!   Carleton University               ! 'Empty your cup so that it may be   !

tom@intran.UUCP (Tom B.) (06/26/91)

kermit supplied ought to do what you want.  To dial, simple type

$ kermit clb /dev/com2pl 2400    (or whatever your modem speed is)
Connected!

then you type:
atdt16125551212    (atdt instructs the modem to dial 1-612-555-1212)

It is that easy!

If you get CKermit (supposed to be on the cohware disk), there are dialers
built in, then you can type
Kermit-> dial 1-555-1212

And kermit knows how todo that.

Good Luck.

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.132617.8220@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca> ken@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Ken Walker) writes:
>Greetings,
>I've just purchased and installed version 3.0 from a friend.  Does the
>newer versions have cu?  If not, what can I use to dial out?  I hate to
>shut down Coherent, boot up Dos and use Telix all the time.  There must
>be a Terminal emulator out there?
>Thanks,

Use kermit.

Example comaand line:

	kermit cbl 2400 /dev/com1l

This will connect you to the modem on /dev/com1l at 2400 and allow you
to use AT commands to dial out.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP