[comp.os.coherent] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 14

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Feral Boy) (06/27/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 14      Mon Jun 24 06:25:09 CDT 1991

Today's Topics:

        list of lists
        comp.os.coherent gateway coming!
        re: lp* troubles, fsck problems

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: 11 Jun 91 15:24:18
From: sdoucet@f1link.OCUnix.On.Ca (Stephane Doucet)
To: coherent
Subject: list of lists

Hi all...I know this may not be the place for this request but this is the
only Internet list I am subscribed to....does anyone know where I can
get my hands on a listing of the lists available on Internet? I used to
have a copy somewhere but it got misplaced when I changed jobs...it's
the list that contains the names of all mailing lists one can subscribe to.

- -Stephane
(sdoucet@F1Link.OCUnix.ON.Ca)

P.S. I have no FTP access...

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 91 01:05:02 est
From: Coherent operating system project <coherent%HARLAN.COM@KSUVM.KSU.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list COHERENT <COHERENT@INDYCMS>
Subject:      comp.os.coherent gateway coming!

     At last!  The comp.os.coherent <-> Coherent (ListServ) bidirectional
gateway should become active sometime today, Thursday, 13 June 1991, with
the result that all contributions to the Usenet newsgroup, comp.os.coherent,
will automagically be posted to this ListServ list, Coherent on ListServ@
IndyCMS, and all postings to Coherent will be posted to comp.os.coherent.
Thus, Usenet news readers without access to ListServ and BITNET/Internet
networkers without access to Usenet news will be able to participate in a
unified discussion of the Coherent operating system, each from their own
environment.

     Because comp.os.coherent traffic is being digested and carried on
the Internet-based Coherent list, Coherent@CS.Wisc.Edu, its readers will
also be able to follow comp.os.coherent <-> Coherent (ListServ) discussions.

     I hope it will be possible to make all past comp.os.coherent traffic
available to the BITNET/Internet community on the Coherent filelist on
ListServ@IndyCMS.  All traffic carried once the gateway becomes active will
be automagically archived in log files available for retrieval from ListServ.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 91 11:06:49
From: norm@mwc.com (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: re: lp* troubles, fsck problems

>> From: Paul Eastham <zap%NETCOM.COM@UICVM.uic.edu>
>> Subject:      lp* troubles, fsck problems
>> To: Multiple recipients of list COHERENT <COHERENT%INDYCMS@uunet.UU.NET>
>>
>> I know that this topic has been discussed many times, but despite all the
>> fixes recommended in the mailing list archives and the usenet archives on
>> piggy, I am still unable to get ANY of the lp* or lpt* drivers to work.
>> I've tried the fix in the 3.0.0 errata to no avail, I've installed 3.1.0
>> with no change.  Needless to say, lpr doesn't work either.

This problem sounds like your parallel printer port is not 100% AT hardware
compatible.  Under MS-DOS, the BIOS on your motherboard handles all the
printer I/O.  If the hardware is somehow non-standard, for example, the
I/O address of the port is not one of the 3 standard addresses, the motherboard
manufacturer can bury the differences in the BIOS code. See the "lp" Lexicon
articles if you want further info on port addresses.

>> Also, A more troubling problem:  Approximately twice a week, after booting
>> up coherent after using DOS, the initial fsck gives me about 20 file system
>> problems (ie bad free list, doubly ref'd I-numbers, etc) on the root file-
>> system.  I'm at a loss to understand why...I ALWAYS follow the prescribed
>> shutdown procedures.  I have spoken to several other troubled Coherent sysadmins
>> with similar problems.

If you indeed are shutting down via the "shutdown" comand and then typing
"sync" before rebooting, it sure sounds like MS-DOS or one of your utilities
under MS-DOS is stepping on part of the COHERENT filesystem. We have over a
dozen machines here at MWC running COHERENT 24 hours/day, some with up to
eight COHERENT partitions spread across two drives.  I can't say that I've
heard of any that exhibit the problems you mention.

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.2, No. 14
	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801