[comp.os.coherent] Trouble with untarring

zap@netcom.COM (Paul Eastham) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.020348.20525@skypod.guild.org> marc@skypod.guild.org (Marc Fournier) writes:
>Hi Folks...
>
>	We just got ahold of Coherent 3.2 from MWC.  We got
>a feed working perfectly for mail, but I want to extend it to
>news also.  I logged onto piggy.ucsb.edu and tried to transfer
>cnews.tar.Z and wnews.tar.Z but as soon as I got it onto my
>computer, and uncompressed it and tried to untar it, it screwed
>up.  The uncompressing worked no problem, but as soon as I untared
>it, it really screwed up the file system.  All the files contained
>the same thing and seemed to be links to the directory.  I don't
>know what happened, since I've used tar many times before hand.

I've had the exact same problems with all kinds of tar files, in version 3.1
of coherent.  It created all directories instead of files, and if you "cd" to
any of the directories, you wind up going nowhere.  At first I couldn't delete
them but I rediscovered the "rm -f" command, which thrashes all files/
directories in the parameter regardless of safeguards.  if you try a "rmdir",
it'll tell you something like "you can't delete the directory you are currently
in."
I've resigned myself to downloading the files from piggy to my public access
Unix system, untarring them there, then downloading them.

I too would love hearing why it does this.
--
--------
| ---- |  ZAP!!
|   /  |  A.K.A. Paul Eastham
| /_   |  zap@netcom.com
|  /   |  Los Altos, CA
--------

mvore@wam.umd.edu (Michael Wood Vore) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.235132.22278@netcom.COM> zap@netcom.COM Paul Eastham
  writes

>>know what happened, since I've used tar many times before hand.
>I've resigned myself to downloading the files from piggy to my public access
>Unix system, untarring them there, then downloading them.

I've tried downloading UNZIP310.ZIP from piggy, and the binary view of
it looks like a .ZIP file alright, but the latest PKUNZIP (DOS) version
will not unzip it.  And with coherent TAR not too reliable (I havn't
even had it trash a directory yet) What's a user to do??

Speaking of TAR, I have a Colorado Memory Systems tape drive on my '386
It works really fine under DOS,  Now that I have Coherent up and running(?)
I'd like to do my backups onto that form of tape.  Who knows about using
it??
- mike
  mvore@wam.umd.edu

nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) (06/26/91)

>In article <1991Jun23.020348.20525@skypod.guild.org> marc@skypod.guild.org (Marc Fournier) writes:
>>
>>	We just got ahold of Coherent 3.2 from MWC.  We got
>>a feed working perfectly for mail, but I want to extend it to
>>news also.  I logged onto piggy.ucsb.edu and tried to transfer
>>cnews.tar.Z and wnews.tar.Z but as soon as I got it onto my
>>computer, and uncompressed it and tried to untar it, it screwed
>>up.
>
>I've had the exact same problems with all kinds of tar files, in version 3.1
>of coherent.  It created all directories instead of files, and if you "cd" to

I discovered the same, and the answer is to use ustar, not tar. The MWC tar
has problems with file tarred by non MWC software and generally creates
these bizarre results. You can duplicate this yourself, as I have, by
ustar-ing a file, then trying to 'tar xvf' it.

I eventually got so tired of this that I linked tar to ustar and tossed
the original. Also, if the aforementioned files weren't non-MWC tarred
to begin with, but are merely corrupted, ustar handles this pretty well,
while the MWC tar creates nightmarish situations.

At least all this is true with my 3.1 system.

BTW, where the heck is the 3.2 upgrade. MWC told me last week that they
were shipping 3.2 in full install packages but that the upgrade would
not be ready for at least a month. A month? What could they be doing that
would take another month? And is there an upgrade price for those of us
willing to back up our important files and reinstall from scratch? No,
but we're welcome to purchase 3.2 install disks for the regular price...

Oh, well.

brendan@otago.ac.nz (Brendan Murray, OUCSC) (06/26/91)

> I've tried downloading UNZIP310.ZIP from piggy, and the binary view of
> it looks like a .ZIP file alright, but the latest PKUNZIP (DOS) version

I got down the unzip.sh.Z instead (or as well as). There were a few vagaries in
the shar file as well which threw me for a bit, but I sorted them out once I
concluded it was them not me, and now I have an unzip that works fine

> will not unzip it.  And with coherent TAR not too reliable (I havn't

I alternated between coherent tar and ustar -- between them I always seem to
get what I want (so far). The gnutar available seems to be better than both and
reliable (again -- so far)

--
 Brendan Murray, Systems Manager
 Computing Services Center	        Email:  brendan@otago.ac.nz

zap@netcom.COM (Paul Eastham) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.220805.118@crash.cts.com> nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) writes:
>I discovered the same, and the answer is to use ustar, not tar. The MWC tar
>has problems with file tarred by non MWC software and generally creates
>these bizarre results. You can duplicate this yourself, as I have, by
>ustar-ing a file, then trying to 'tar xvf' it.
I forgot to mention in an earlier post that gnu tar ALSO produces the same
strange results.  I was unable to get ustar to work at all, so I am still
stuck untarring then downloading.

--
--------
| ---- |  ZAP!!
|   /  |  A.K.A. Paul Eastham
| /_   |  zap@netcom.com
|  /   |  Los Altos, CA
--------

hetrick@SPARKY.EEEL.NIST.GOV (Paul Hetrick) (06/27/91)

I've been fallowing the troubles with tar and on occasion ustar,  I've been
using pax since I've have it. (I think it came with the 3.1 update.) I have
only had it break on one file, and I'm almost sure it was the files fault
 (it broke the SunOS's tar as well.)  The syntax for pax is simpler than
tar too, once you get used to the difference: pax -rf file.tar works well.

  Hope this helps,
    Paul S. Hetrick
    hetrick@eeel.nist.gov

keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.220805.118@crash.cts.com> nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) writes:

>I eventually got so tired of this that I linked tar to ustar and tossed
>the original.
>
>At least all this is true with my 3.1 system.
>
>BTW, where the heck is the 3.2 upgrade.

For this problem the 3.2 upgrade won't help you: I've got 3.2 and it
screws up tar'red files as described in other postings to this
group.  (I'm relieved to find out it wasn't just _my_ problem -
misery loves company :-))

(help *) KEITHE()

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) (06/28/91)

zap@netcom.COM (Paul Eastham) writes:

>I've had the exact same problems with all kinds of tar files, in version 3.1
>of coherent.  It created all directories instead of files, and if you "cd" to
>any of the directories, you wind up going nowhere.  At first I couldn't delete
>them but I rediscovered the "rm -f" command, which thrashes all files/
>directories in the parameter regardless of safeguards.  if you try a "rmdir",
>it'll tell you something like "you can't delete the directory you are currently
>in."
>I've resigned myself to downloading the files from piggy to my public access
>Unix system, untarring them there, then downloading them.

>I too would love hearing why it does this.
>--

Hello,

    I have coherent Release 3.1.0,  after having some initial problems
    with tar <couldn't work it at all>, I have had very few errors.

    I ftp files to ENCORE multimax at school <binary> uncompress them
    untar them,  and then tar them and compress them again, download
    this binary file and use uncompress and tar on Coherent,
    takes > 1hr on 286 to go from 500k compressed but it works fine,
    <altho noticed a couple of times that some error re inodes appeared
    but all I did was rm -r dir_name and did it again> all ok.
    cat tarfile | tar xvf - ,  works fine.   I just make sure all transfers
    are binary mode.  Btw  I tried unzip on coherent but didn't work
    works fine on the ENCORE.  Woudn't mind a zip tool tho.

    -Peter Cupit.