[comp.os.coherent] Coherent 386

goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (06/20/91)

What's the definitive story on the periodically mentioned, but so far
as I know purly mythological (at this point) Coherent 386?  Is it out?
Will it be out?  What will it do?  Will it still be $99?

Thanks for any information.

--
 Adam Goldberg             ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL programmer could do
 goldberg@iastate.edu      !   it!"

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/22/91)

In article <goldberg.677361441@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>What's the definitive story on the periodically mentioned, but so far
>as I know purly mythological (at this point) Coherent 386?  Is it out?
>Will it be out?  What will it do?  Will it still be $99?

It is in development.  MWC has asked for suggestions here on features to be
included.  They say it will be released in middle to late 1992.

>Thanks for any information.

Your welcome.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) (06/24/91)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>In article <goldberg.677361441@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> goldberg@iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>>What's the definitive story on the periodically mentioned, but so far
>>as I know purly mythological (at this point) Coherent 386?  Is it out?
>>Will it be out?  What will it do?  Will it still be $99?

>It is in development.  MWC has asked for suggestions here on features to be
>included.  They say it will be released in middle to late 1992.

>>Thanks for any information.

>Your welcome.

>Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

How about including X-Windows in coherent 386 ??

--
Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                            FAX:   +61 7 837 4704

don@delta.com (Don Irmiger) (06/24/91)

> How about including X-Windows in coherent 386 ??

HA!

--
Donald K. Irmiger III                                 UUCP: uunet!delta.com!don
Data Systems Coordinator                          Internet: don@delta.com

mjl@lccma.bos.locus.com (Mike Leibensperger) (06/25/91)

In some article too deeply >>>>'ed to figure who wrote it, someone writes:
>It is in development.  MWC has asked for suggestions here on features to be
>included.  They say it will be released in middle to late 1992.

IMHO the most important feature/goal for Coherent 386, aside from
providing 32-bit virtual memory, should be source (and possibly
binary, if the state of the standardization effort permits)
compatibility with OSF/1/SVR4/Posix.  That and X/Motif for a few
hundred bucks, and they might have a DOS killer.  Heh, heh.

	mjl
--
Michael J. Leibensperger <mjl@locus.com>       "None are so deeply enslaved
Locus Computing Corp./Boston			as those who falsely believe

draper@cps3xx.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (06/27/91)

In article <9106241029.AA12736@delta.com> Coherent operating system list <COHERENT@indycms.bitnet> writes:
>> How about including X-Windows in coherent 386 ??
>
>HA!
>
>--
>Donald K. Irmiger III                                 UUCP: uunet!delta.com!don
>Data Systems Coordinator                          Internet: don@delta.com
>Michiana Rehabilitation Institute's Data Systems Center \ Altos 2086/Xenix 3.4b

Don't laugh. It's my understanding that Minix either has X, or some
people are busy porting it right now. If that's true, Coherent will have
X too!

Patrick Draper     "College is supposed to prepare you for the future,
cps.msu.edu               but all my future's behind me."
draper@cps.msu.edu      -- My GrandPa, age 85, Fall 1990 graduate
                           of Western Michigan University

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Peter David Cupit) (06/28/91)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>It is in development.  MWC has asked for suggestions here on features to be
>included.  They say it will be released in middle to late 1992.

Hello,

  What kind of features were suggested?  It will be virtual memory right?
  (Probably stupid question..)  Anyone know what kind of page replacement
  is intended?

  I guess also that a much larger memory model compiler would need to be
  included and have been wondering about the eventual upgrade cost.

  If Coherent has sold in the 10's of thousands does that cover the cost
  of writing the thing because <from the manual> a heap of people worked
  on it.

  I love Coherent btw,  it's pretty stable, eg when I was installing clam
  the cpu would trap and go into and endless loop but I could still log
  in on the terminal and kill the process.  (Clam is very good now that
  it has the correct patches...)

  -Peter Cupit.

Peter Wabbit, s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make
it true.  You may have to work for it, however.  - Richard Bach.