[alt.privacy] Those

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield) (04/20/91)

Is anyone keeping a list of these folks?  There's the major credit
agencies, of course (TRW and so forth...); we all know about Equifax
by now, who else is in the business?

Do these people have a trade rag?

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird Broadfield) (04/23/91)

And Craig Wilson said:
>Every person now serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S.
>Senate, as well as most of their more recent challengers.  The Smithsonian
>Museums, St. Jude's Children Hospital, Greenpeace, Mothers Against Drunk
>Drivers, People for the American Way, The National Rifle Association, EE
>Times, etc.

Okay, gee, thanks Craig, I was completely unaware that mailing lists may
be sold by organizations constituted for other purposes.  What a revelation!

To make it *completely* clear:  I'm interested in those organizations whose
*sole and/or primary business* is the collection and sale of "personal"
information, especially those whose datasets extend beyond mailing-list
data, into lifestyle, health, financial, etc.

--  Laird P. Broadfield                        | Year after year, site after
    UUCP: {ucsd, nosc}!crash!lairdb            | site, and I still can't think
 The Net: lairdb@crash.cts.com                 | of a funny enough .sig.