[comp.compression] JPEG spec/implementation

spot@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Draves) (03/23/91)

Is there a JPEG standard doc?  How do I get hold of it?  Is there a
reference implementation?  Where do I get it? tyia,

--

			christianity is stupid
Scott Draves		communism is good

hsi@netcom.COM (Handmade Software) (03/24/91)

In article <SPOT.91Mar23074210@WOOZLE.GRAPHICS.CS.CMU.EDU>, spot@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Draves) writes:

> Is there a JPEG standard doc?  How do I get hold of it?

The "official" source of JPEG drafts is:

  X3 Secretariat
  Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers Institute
  311 First Street NW, Suite 500
  Washington DC,  20001-2178

The last time I ordered a copy from them the charge was $8.00, including
postage.

> Is there a
> reference implementation?  Where do I get it? tyia,

Several companies have developed commercial software which implements
the current JPEG draft (Kodak, C-Cube, HSI (my company));  there is also
a Public Domain JPEG group active on the net (commonly called the PD JPEG
group), they have an FTP site where you can get the latest source code
(I don't have the site name, I'm sure one of the PD JPEG people can
supply it).

marcos
--
Handmade Software, Inc.