[comp.compression] Fractal Based Image Compression

ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) (03/26/91)

I would like to find some references on the methods used to find the set of
strange attractors used to compress images using the fractal based
reconstruction methods.  The process of creating the image is fairly well
documented.  The inverse problem is not.

--
Andy Register  Internet: ar12@prism.gatech.edu   Bitnet: aregiste@gtri01.bitnet

-- Sometimes the Bears Win, Sometimes the Bulls Win --
    -------- But the Pigs *Always* Lose --------              (author unknown)

tsf@CS.CMU.EDU (Timothy Freeman) (03/26/91)

In article <24985@hydra.gatech.EDU> ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) writes:

   I would like to find some references on the methods used to find the set of
   strange attractors used to compress images using the fractal based
   reconstruction methods.  The process of creating the image is fairly well
   documented.  The inverse problem is not.

This reference is the best I've been able to find:

@article	( BARNSLEY88,
key	=	"Barnsley88" ,
author	=	"Michael F. Barnsley and Arnaud Jacquin and
Francois Malassenet and Laurie Reuter and Alan D. Sloan" ,
title	=	"Harnessing Chaos for Image Synthesis" ,
journal	=	"Computer Graphics" ,
volume	=	"22" ,
number	=	"4" ,
month	=	"August" ,
year	=	"1988" ,
pages	=	"131--140" ,
keywords=	"graph, tsf" ,
annote	=	"Tim has a copy." ,
bibdate	=	"Thu May 17 16:21:37 1990"
)

The paper says "We introduce two new IFS[Iterated Function
Systems]-based algorithms.  The first one, the Collage algorithm, is a
gemoetric modeling tool for interactively finding iterated funciton
system codes.  The second one is called the Measure Rendering
algorithm.  It applies chaotic dynamics to the computation of the
gemometry and texture of IFS encode images."

However, the detailed description of the Collage "algorithm" says that
it requires human input for each image, so it isn't an algorithm, at
least according to the way I understand the term.  I feel that the
abstract of this paper is very misleading.

Tim

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/26/91)

In article <24985@hydra.gatech.EDU> ar12@prism.gatech.EDU (REGISTER,ANDREW H) writes:
>I would like to find some references on the methods used to find the set of
>strange attractors used to compress images using the fractal based
>reconstruction methods.  The process of creating the image is fairly well
>documented.  The inverse problem is not.

You won't find it well documented anywhere, since these fellows are
trying to make big bucks off of it, and there are conflicts between
that and pure academic goals ...

Nevertheless, the best reference I've seen so far is:
Jacquin, A. E., "A Novel Fractal Block-Coding Technique for Digital
Images", IEEE ICASSP 1990, pp. 2225-2228 (vol. 4).

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu