NEMOTO) writes:

   From: nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO)
   Date: 25 Mar 91 02:05:09 GMT

   >   I'm having a hell of a time trying to compile lharc v.0.03 Beta on
   >the SunOS 3.5 machine here.  the program compiles OK with no "switchies"

   LHarc v.0.03 is rather older one, I think.  I'm usually using v1.02
   by Y.Tagawa, and it works fine in both unix and minix.

   But in MS-DOS, newer-version of LHarc, LHA is released.  LHA-v2.11
   is released source-codes besides executable one.  Thus, I hope
   new-version for *nix to be released by someone, for if you archive
   some files in LHA, you cannot dearchive by conventional LHarc,
   unless -o parameter (meaning older format).

   Latest verion of LHA in MS-DOS is now 2.12.

From utsun.s.u-tokyo.edu:/fj/lha/ which would appear to be the home of
LHA; I see no sources here.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

     This is official release of LHa, the successor to the famous
archiver LHarc.  It is expected to run on any MS-DOS machine.
     `lha210.exe' is in self-extract format.  Execute it and hit `y'.
     Use `lha_e.bat' to obtain `lha_e.exe' (LHa with English message)
from `lha.exe' (Japanese).  `bupdate.exe' is in `bdiff.lzh'.
     English documents are not available yet.

                                        hideki@utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
226 Transfer complete.
418 bytes received in 0.35 seconds (1.2 Kbytes/s)
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls (0 bytes).
total 198
-rw-r--r--   1 3895     ftp           410 Feb 25 06:55 README.hideki
-rw-r--r--   1 3895     ftp         55519 Jan 29 01:22 bdiff.lzh
-rw-r--r--   1 3895     ftp         43904 Feb 25 06:52 lha210.exe
226 Transfer complete.
214 bytes received in 0.2 seconds (1 Kbytes/s)
ftp> pwd
257 "/fj/lha" is current directory.
ftp>

nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO) (03/26/91)

In article <EMV.91Mar24233758@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

>From utsun.s.u-tokyo.edu:/fj/lha/ which would appear to be the home of
>LHA; I see no sources here.
>	    ^^^^^^^^^^

May be so, but 2.11 is released with source-code, in Japan.  Thus I hope to be
put FTP-site, utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp.  Both 2.10/2.12 were released without
source-code.  Can I ask to put source-code for 2.11 in utsun?
				>   hideki@utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

BTW, name of this archiver is changed as "LHA" instead of LHa/LH, may be after
v.2.11.

In article <EMV.91Mar24233758@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

|    But in MS-DOS, newer-version of LHarc, LHA is released.  LHA-v2.11
|    is released source-codes besides executable one.

Well, no. The source archive I got from simtel20 contained the source as
assembler output from a C compiler. It's source, but not portable. I
haven't looked to see how well those map into the C sources I got
earlier (2.05 beta), but I can't release those. I have an inquery in to
the author for a copy of the complete source. The beta version won't
compile under any UNIX I've seen until it is massaged.

I got 1.00 to compile on most of the BSD and SysV machines at work, I
will probably look at porting lha as well, although I expect the new
release of zoo to be slightly smaller and faster, and more portable.

    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX