[comp.compression] A rather naive request.

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (03/23/91)

I'm a rather novice programmer who is just beginning to teach himself C (on an
apple macintosh, no less).  If somebody has the time, would they please be
willing to point me to a decent basic reference on compression techniques?  I'm
interested in how it works, etc.  Also, would you be willing to point me to some
algorithms?  Thanx you much for your help.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled hallucination.

<BMS101@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/26/91)

Try Dr. Dobb's Journal Feb 91  #173
-----------------
              B  O  R  N    T  O    C  O  D  E !
Luck is directly proportional  |     BRADLEY SMALL
to how hard one works.         |     BMS101 AT PSUVM
Is it really programming when  |     BMS101@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
It works right the first time?

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (03/26/91)

In article <5023@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
>I'm a rather novice programmer who is just beginning to teach himself C (on an
>apple macintosh, no less).  If somebody has the time, would they please be
>willing to point me to a decent basic reference on compression techniques?  I'm

Well, I'm not an expert in this field, but this is what I'd do if I wanted
to know more about this topic:
	1.  Get my favorite algorithms/data structures book, and look up
	    Huffman encoding.  If it wasn't in there, I'd strongly consider
	    choosing a new favorite algorithms book. ;-)
	2.  Study the parts on Huffman encoding.
	3.  Follow up the bibliographical references as interest dictated.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (03/26/91)

In article <1265@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:
>In article <5023@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
>>I'm a rather novice programmer who is just beginning to teach himself C (on an
>>apple macintosh, no less).  If somebody has the time, would they please be
>>willing to point me to a decent basic reference on compression techniques?  I'm
>
>Well, I'm not an expert in this field, but this is what I'd do if I wanted
>to know more about this topic:
>	1.  Get my favorite algorithms/data structures book, and look up
>	    Huffman encoding.  If it wasn't in there, I'd strongly consider
>	    choosing a new favorite algorithms book. ;-)
>	2.  Study the parts on Huffman encoding.
>	3.  Follow up the bibliographical references as interest dictated.
>

>--
>Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

You make one mistaken assumption in this article:  You assume that I know enough
C to *have* a favorite algorithms/data structures book.

I *told* you I'm only a very, very novice beginner. ;-)

But seriously, thank you, and thanx to all the people who swamped me with ad-
vice.  I've gotten some very good leads, most noteably the current issue of
BYTE which has the LZ & H algorithms described in it.

Peace and Long Life

(-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-)

 Douglas J Renze                    internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
                                      Delphi:  drenze

       You may now return to your regularly-scheduled hallucination.

(-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-)

dsimon@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Derron M Simon) (03/27/91)

Do you know where I can find the C source for the Arithmetic Coding
program in that issue (ddj #173)?  Thanks,
				Derron Simon

--
/* Derron Simon                * Internet: dsimon@eniac.seas.upenn.edu       */
/*                             * Phone: (215)573-5650  GEnie: D.SIMON        */

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (03/27/91)

In article <39851@netnews.upenn.edu> dsimon@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
(Derron M Simon) writes:
>Do you know where I can find the C source for the Arithmetic Coding
>program in that issue (ddj #173)?  Thanks,

It is anon-ftp-able from nexus.yorku.ca  [130.63.9.1] under pub/oz
as model.shar.Z. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on this
source, nor the modelling algorithm coded therein.

oz
---
In seeking the unattainable, simplicity  |  Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
only gets in the way. -- Alan J. Perlis  |  Uucp: utai/utzoo!yunexus!oz

In article <22151@yunexus.YorkU.CA> oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:
  [ on an arithmetic coder ]
> As far as I know, there are no restrictions on this
> source, nor the modelling algorithm coded therein.

If you ignore the many patents on arithmetic coding, that is. While the
modeller alone might not be covered by any patents, the source certainly
is restricted.

---Dan

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (03/27/91)

In article <9711:Mar2702:25:5391@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>If you ignore the many patents on arithmetic coding, that is.

Be more specific. List the "many patents" on arithmetic coding you
know about that is relevant to this particular implementation, or
any other implementation the readers of this group may be interested
in.

... oz

pitaro@rocket.uucp (Michael Pitaro) (03/27/91)

In article <5023@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:

>   I'm a rather novice programmer who is just beginning to teach
>   himself C (on an apple macintosh, no less).  If somebody has the
>   time, would they please be willing to point me to a decent basic
>   reference on compression techniques?  I'm interested in how it
>   works, etc.  Also, would you be willing to point me to some
>   algorithms?  Thanx you much for your help.
>
>   We now return you to your regularly-scheduled hallucination.

You might try the following book.
James A. Storer, "Data Compression: Methods and Theory", Computer
Science Press, 1988.
--
Michael Pitaro
pitaro@rocket.sanders.com