[comp.compression] GIF, TIFF format anyone?

aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) (03/27/91)

Hello!
I am looking for the description of the GIF & TIFF standard.
I just acquired a frame grabber with mediocre software and I want to save
pictures in a more standard format
So I want to write a program to convert the screen buffer to a GIF or TIFF
file.

Does anyone have these descritions (sure someone has'em) or knows of a
FTP server that stores them?

Thanks!
Axel

--
I'ld rather have an Uttoxeter than an IBM thingy.
(The meaning of Liff)

jan1073@isc.rit.edu (J.A. Nedelka ) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.142759.11945@fwi.uva.nl> aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes:
>Hello!
>I am looking for the description of the GIF & TIFF standard.
>I just acquired a frame grabber with mediocre software and I want to save
>pictures in a more standard format
>So I want to write a program to convert the screen buffer to a GIF or TIFF
>file.
>
>Does anyone have these descritions (sure someone has'em) or knows of a
>FTP server that stores them?
>
>Thanks!
>Axel

     Ditto.  Thanks.  :-)

--
Jan A. Nedelka            /   "So much for true love!"
The Fourth Doctor         /         ---Ursula, the Sea Witch

marcos@netcom.COM (Marcos H. Woehrmann) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar27.142759.11945@fwi.uva.nl>, aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes:
> I just acquired a frame grabber with mediocre software and I want to save
> pictures in a more standard format
> So I want to write a program to convert the screen buffer to a GIF or TIFF
> file.

No, you don't really want to do that.  Writing GIF and/or TIFF files correctly
is non-trivial (and we don't need any more badly written files out there).

Find some file converter that you like (PBM on a UN*X box works well, there
are a couple for PCs and MACs (mail me if you need more specific information)),
then find a simple format that the converter supports (PPM for PBM, etc.).

Now you can write out files in that format and use the converter to convert
to GIF/TIFF and not have to worry about getting everything right.

marcos

p.s.  If you really want a copy of the GIF and/or TIFF specs mail me your
      US mail address and I will send them to you (they are available via
      FTP, but since I can't ftp from this site I really don't know where).

--
Marcos H. Woehrmann    {claris|apple}!netcom!marcos  |  marcos@netcom.COM

 Oh, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but remember it's not what you
 say, it's how you say it, and how much you're paid to do so, and besides
 who's listening anyway.  No one, that's who, because it's all been said
 and done and done and done and done to death.  Let's talk about art,
 said the fool to the idiot.  --Lydia Lunch