[comp.compression] JPEG info

tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (04/05/91)

In article <9935@discus.technion.ac.il>, edr@techunix.BITNET (Ehud Reshef) writes:
> In article <6117@flint15.UUCP>, smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) writes:
> >      Sorry if this a FAQ, but i need some info. Has anyone got any
> > information or can anyone point me to anything to do with JPEG?
> > Has anyone any source code examples (preferably in C)...
>
> I know of only one PD JPEG around : alchemy.

Image Alchemy is *not* PD, it is shareware.  I'll restrain myself (for now)
from flaming about people who ignore the distinction.

None of the existing implementations of JPEG (including Alchemy) have
released source code; unsurprising since they all hope to make money on it.

To the best of my knowledge there is only one group working on a free
implementation of JPEG; that is a group I organized a few months ago.
We are making rather slow progress, but hope to release source code
sometime in the next few months.  Our current plans are to produce
versions for Unix machines, Macs, PCs, and Amigas.

If you'd like to join the group and help out, contact me by e-mail.
If you just want to use the code when it's available, watch this newsgroup
for announcements.

--
			tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu	BITNET: tgl%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma