[comp.compression] PKZIP for UNIX

cchen@unixg.ubc.ca (Chia-tung Chen) (04/05/91)

Can anyone tell me whether there is PKZIP for general UNIX system? I know there
is unzip for unix. My purpose is to compress large file before transfer
to my pc. my mail address is cchen@unixg.ubc.ca.  Thanks in advance.

Is the desire for (PK)ZIP for unix a desire for a compressor that can
easily make files to go to DOS systems, or a desire for a better
compressor for Unix?

There is, of course, already things like ARC and ZOO for Unix that have
dos equivalents, and of course compress for DOS, although most people do
not seem to have it.    And LHARC and variants.

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (04/08/91)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Is the desire for (PK)ZIP for unix a desire for a compressor that can
>easily make files to go to DOS systems, or a desire for a better
>compressor for Unix?

I believe the desire stems from PKZIP's popularity among the PC world.
Actually, I know it does.  PC people will post files in the PKZIP format
that I would very much like to have on my Unix system.  Carting things
over to a DOS machine for the abilities of one program seems a little
ridiculous.  Thus, having a PKZIP-type program for Unix would be a (tm)
Good Thing.

>There is, of course, already things like ARC and ZOO for Unix that have
>dos equivalents, and of course compress for DOS, although most people do
>not seem to have it.    And LHARC and variants.

Exactly.  There are lots of these programs that started on Unix and were
ported to DOS.  Perhaps backwash dictates a few port the other way? *shrug*

-dan
--
-- Daniel Chaney                                                             --
-- postmaster, newsguy, main archiver for ms.uky.edu (Univ of KY Math Sci)   --

vanaards@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Steven van Aardt) (04/10/91)

  There's a unix source located at lancaster university (UK). JANET users
can obtain a copy through lancs.pdsoft.

Steven van Aardt.

PS if anyone does get an alternative version I'd like a copy as this does
   not seem to cope with all ZIPed files very well.

  -       JANET E-mail : vanaards@uk.ac.man.cs.p4 (Steven van Aardt)       --
  -- Warning this user has been designated for termination on the 21.6.91  --