[comp.compression] No encryption on Sun4's

nautilus@joe.math.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) (04/13/91)

Yesterday I was looking for encryption routines for a journal of mine,
and I discovered that of all the SunOS machines RPI has, only the Sun3's
have des and crypt.  I have informed the system administrators, and it
will be fixed.  Low-priority item, though.  I was wondering if anyone
else out there suffered this dilemma.

BTW, RPI is in Troy, New York.  I don't think it would be considered
'international' to California, but you never know... :-)
--
|John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
|Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (04/13/91)

In article <.!ggrc#@rpi.edu> nautilus@joe.math.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
>... of all the SunOS machines RPI has, only the Sun3's have des and crypt.
>I have informed the system administrators, and it will be fixed.
>I was wondering if anyone else out there suffered this dilemma.

It is not a dilemma, it just a software licensing issue.  And it is not
a Sun3 vs Sun4 problem either.  The standard software distribution of
SunOS version 4.1 and higher are identical for U.S. and non U.S. customers;
the DES encryption software is not included.  U.S. customers who need
this functionality have to order an additional tape from Sun.

I don't understand why this was posted to comp.compression, I have set
followups to go to alt.sys.sun.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms