[comp.compression] LZW Documentation

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (04/16/91)

	Does anyone have a good document explaining LZW?  I've seen
numerous articles explaining it, but I want to find something that
outlines the basic theory and the implementation of it.

Thanks

Steven Chiang                  Coming Soon:  DreamGrafix  3200 color power
stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
America On_Line:  DWS Steve    Apple IIgs Forever!
#  With a 4 line .sig, which is all my mailer will post!  :P  #

yjohn@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (John Ross) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.151750.19771@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) writes:
>	Does anyone have a good document explaining LZW?  I've seen
>numerous articles explaining it, but I want to find something that
>outlines the basic theory and the implementation of it.

The April issue of BYTE magazine has a pretty good introductory article on
lossless data compression.  The author discusses both Huffman and LZW
compression and supplies pseudocode implementations for the two algorithms.

JWR