[comp.compression] ARJ 2.00 and portability

robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) (04/21/91)

>>The main goals of ARJ are to provide as much practical compression as
>>is possible on an IBM PC machine and as many features as practical.

>How about UN*X compatibility?  There are ZOO, ARC, LHARC, and ZIP (although
>not by Phil Katz, of course) programs available for UN*X systems, however
>I haven't seen any source code for ARJ.

>The question is: is ARJ designed for portability?
>If not, then it should be optimized to deal with PC-specific data;
>otherwise, it should be ported to other OS's.

Yes, ARJ has been designed for portability.  ARJ is coded in STANDARD C
(ANSI) using STANDARD C library calls with all environment dependent
functions in a separate source file with implementations for the PC and for
the generic OS.  An early version of ARJ was ported successfully to a
minicomputer with only a few hours of programming time.

Source code for a STANDARD C version of a simple ARJ archive extraction
program has been released with ARJ 2.00.  When someone ports that to UN*X,
users will be able to archive PC text files with the -t1 (C text mode)
option of ARJ and transport them to UN*X boxes for extraction.

Source code for a simple version of ARJ may be available later this year,
but financial issues weigh heavily in this decision.  I would like to see
some financial return on the heavy programming investment.

---
robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung)

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr21.015557.25861@world.std.com> robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) writes:

>Source code for a STANDARD C version of a simple ARJ archive extraction
>program has been released with ARJ 2.00.  When someone ports that to UN*X,
>users will be able to archive PC text files with the -t1 (C text mode)
>option of ARJ and transport them to UN*X boxes for extraction.

Robert, could you please post the extraction code to comp.sources or
some related group?  A wider distribution would probably ensure that someone
undertakes making it run on a lot of unix boxes (and other platforms).

thanks,

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615