[comp.compression] Self-test of LHA

nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.030220.15637@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.113026.2657@unlinfo.unl.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) writes:
>>McAfee has identified over 501 virus strains now known for MS-DOS.  Am I
>>the only one who is concerned about infection potential in SFX.EXE-type
>>files?
>--------- abbreviated ---------
>The newer versions of LHa and PKZIP can extract their SFX files.  I.e.,
>if you get lha212.exe and want to unpack it using an LHa.exe you already
>have, just do 'lha x lha212.exe'.
>This works around the very important virus problem that you mentioned.
>No matter how reliable the source, a hacker can always seed it with a virus.
>Better to be safe than sorry.

Further you can *test* newly arrived LHA-selfextracted file using older
LHA.EXE program.

Try	C:>LHA T lha212.exe
	    |  |    |
	    |  |    +--------- Newly arrived selfextract file
	    |  +-------------- specify to TEST
	    +----------------- older executable file of LHA

If the newly arrived selfextract-LHA is from Yoshi, you will see
	"This is original from Yoshi."-message.
Fortunately, I have no experience stated another message, but when
I tested one version of LHA212.COM (original is .EXE), the above
message didn't not appear, thus I've trushed the file.  :-)

	(Wed) Apr 24 14:58 JST(+0900) 1991 	nemossan@uitec.ac.jp