[comp.compression] Reply to ARJ and Jung are not all they seem

robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) (04/25/91)

 This is in response to the comments from Mitsue Osanami about ARJ 2.00.

>From: mitsue@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mitsue Osanami)
>Subject: ARJ and Jung are not all they seem

>People should not be getting too excited about ARJ 2.00 or any other...

>90% of the code used in ARJ is "stolen" directly from LHA.  I do not think it
>at all appropriate for Jung to be putting a copyright and "all rights
>reserved" on code that wasnt' written by him.  The code is the SAME in
>most parts of the code down to formatting and a few comments.

 To clarify, the file archiver ARJ 2.00 is based upon the public domain
 work of Haruhiko Okumura released in AR002.EXE.  ARJ is NOT based upon
 the LHArc 2.1x source.  ARJ 0.20 came out weeks before Yoshizaki
 released his source code.

 The AR002 program consists of a grand total of 839 lines of source and
 #include files.  The source for ARJ 2.00 consists of almost 5,000 lines
 of source and #include files.  This means that AR002 can be NO MORE
 THAN 18 PERCENT of the ARJ code!  In fact, less than TEN percent of
 AR002 can be found in the ARJ code.  UNARJ looks like AR002 because
 UNARJ is stripped down to its bare bones.  The regular UNARJ is over
 3,000 lines of source.

 Moreover, many VERY IMPORTANT details of ARJ are different from AR002.

 a)  32 bit CRC
 b)  C Text mode support
 c)  Archive and file comment support
 d)  Recoverable header design
 e)  Cross platform archive support
 f)  Multiple volume archive support
 g)  Encryption support
 h)  More compression using less memory!!!
 i)  and more!

 It is for this original work that the word "copyright" is stamped upon ARJ.

>If you will go back to ARJ version .20 the results from it will be BYTE for
>BYTE the same as that from AR2!

 ARJ 0.20 uses the AR002 LZ77 compressor.  ARJ 2.00 DOES NOT!!!

>The only advancement that he has made is increasing the dictionary size to
>22k!  This guy deserves no recognition.

 AR002 CANNOT even be built with a 22K or greater dictionary.

 The UNARJ decompressor may be very similar to AR002, but the LZ77
 compressor used in ARJ 2.00 is COMPLETELY NEW, UNPUBLISHED, and
 probably PATENTABLE.  (U.S. patent rights are currently being sought).
 How else could a NOVICE PC programmer in his first shareware project
 outdo LHArc 2.12 in COMPRESSION SIZE and COMPRESSION SPEED!!!

 Besides, in my ARJ acknowledgements, the credit goes to God Almighty
 and to all of the ARJ testers.

 Sincerely,
 Robert K Jung  (robjung@world.std.com)

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.215923.15481@world.std.com> robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) writes:

    The UNARJ decompressor may be very similar to AR002, but the LZ77
    compressor used in ARJ 2.00 is COMPLETELY NEW, UNPUBLISHED, and
    probably PATENTABLE.  (U.S. patent rights are currently being sought).

Then UNARJ is to be avoided like the PLAGUE.  the last thing we need
is more PATENTED compression algorithms, more entanglements of LAWYERS
and COURTS, and vague nasty THREATS to take what had been available as
source and HOARD IT AWAY.

I'd recommend deleting all your copies of UNARC right now, so that you
don't accidentally learn something that Mr. Jung might claim later to
be his exclusive property.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

"(6) The Plan shall identify how agencies and departments can
collaborate to ... expand efforts to improve, document, and evaluate
unclassified public-domain software developed by federally-funded
researchers and other software, including federally-funded educational
and training software; "
			High-Performance Computing Act of 1991, S. 218

pingel@daimi.aau.dk (S|ren Pingel Dalsgaard) (04/26/91)

robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) writes:

[stuff deleted]

> How else could a NOVICE PC programmer in his first shareware project
> outdo LHArc 2.12 in COMPRESSION SIZE and COMPRESSION SPEED!!!
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AHaving tested ARJ against LHA 2.11 I do not find anything amazing about
ARJ being better than LHA 2.11. Of all the public domain programs that
I converted from ZIP to LZH and ARJ, LZH was better in some cases and ARJ
was better in other, so I wouldn't call one better than the other.

This is just my opinion, from my personal expirience....

> Sincerely,
> Robert K Jung  (robjung@world.std.com)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do however think that this man has made a remarkable program, which I
will continue to test (and eventually register when I find it suits my needs).

-pingel

                                          e-mail: pingel@daimi.aau.dk
 |     \|  ||  \  |/  ___||  ___||  |     Soren Pingel Dalsgaard,
 |  ___/|  ||     || (__ ||  _|_ |  |__   Dept. of Computer Science,
                                          Denmark

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
 then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed
 civilization." - Gerald Weinberg
"Share and enjoy" - From Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy